Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bf had his Driver side door actuator go out on him so we decided to replace it. :) hope it helps...

Keep your window up the whole process. you'll need a t30 tip (start tip) and a 10mm socket, a philips, and a small flat head. it should only take about half an hour... took him 15 min soooo Yeah :bigSmile:

There's a clip on the side... push in center "slightly" and pry it out..

There's a screw on the handle thing.. take it out... :)

There's a clip behind the actual door handle, take that off and then remove the screw

With a small flat head, pry (lightly) into the outside frame and it will pop right out.. do top and bottom...

These little clips closest to his hand are what your prying...

For window switch, pry in the front to snap out that clip... when its out, pull forward and it should come right off..

remove connections by pushin in the little clips that hold snap on

pull the tweeter cover right out...

from the bottom of the door panel, start pulling out evenly... once you get to the top pull up!

make sure to disconnect the little light

these should be all the clips to give u an idea...

This is your door panel

Remove this with a size 10mm socket..

Pull off the plastic around, neatly or rip it off if you dont care bout it... :suspiciou

Remove the screw thats holding the latch and pull backwards towards the back of the window.

Remove black metal covers

unclip the wires that go to the handle... should explain itself

remove 3 screws...

Remove this screw on the side of the door to loosen rail to have some room

Using a T30 tip (star tip) remove the 3 screws...

We couldnt get a picture of the inside, but if you look in the inside two bars are held by clips, one is white and one is yellowish. just go up on the clips...
this is the closest i got...

when you take it out... slant it...

unclip the clips on the that attach the door handle to the bars...push outwards and connect the handle to the new actuator (a picture to give you an idea)

make sure that when your putting the actuator back in it goes BEHIND the rail.

Start screwing everything back on. Dont forget to tighting all the bolts we took off, especially the rail bolt. TIP: when your putting the door panel back on, its easier if the window is down. just connect the window switch for this and disconnect when its down so u can put the panel on.

Okay really quick... if your doing the regulator... (btw, all doors it should be the same concept with the actuator and it is for the regulator)

Follow the same process of take the door panel out. Plug your window switches back on like picture above... and turn your car key to the second on thing... w/o starting...

Remove bottom metal cap... and roll down window to be able to remove the screw.

it should line up with the other hole too...

REMOVE YOUR WINDOW pull up on the window and tilt to get it out.... it shouldnt be hard.

Romove these bolts once your window has been taken on and dont forget to disconnect your window motor( circled in blue)... youll prolly have to slant the regulator to get it out. and put the new one in and finish up...

Okay hope it helps... Im in a rush so i pulled a lot of "screws" when almost everything is a bolt, :lol:

:cool:

·
Registered
521 Posts
WOW. This is exactly what I was thinking about doing soon since my drivers side lock doesn't open automatically anymore.

Thanks for writing this up and taking clear pictures

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Great writeup but I got lost after the step that says to loosen and remove the 3 nuts with the t30 star tip. I dont understand whats happening after that part. What exactly is being removed and replaced...any extra help?

Also is there an actuator I can get from a toyota dealership that works in the IS300? It would be cheaper than going to the lexus stealership.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great writeup but I got lost after the step that says to loosen and remove the 3 nuts with the t30 star tip. I dont understand whats happening after that part. What exactly is being removed and replaced...any extra help?

Also is there an actuator I can get from a toyota dealership that works in the IS300? It would be cheaper than going to the lexus stealership.
"We couldnt get a picture of the inside, but if you look in the inside two bars are held by clips, one is white and one is green. just go up on the clips..."

You just unclip the clips on the actuator that connect to the door handle and then u take the actuator out...I dont know how esle to explain it. Have u opened ur door panel up and looked at it?

Just call the toyota dealer and see if they have it, if they dont im sure they can order it.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
+rep.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm bumping this up! +rep

I'm having this problem right now, but the dealer says it's under my CPO warranty. Having it checked on Friday.

How much is the actuator? I forgot to ask the dealer.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think when we checked it was like 120 from the dealer.... but I ended up buying a used one from a member here for 10 bucks :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just my luck.

I took the car to the dealer to get the actuator fixed under warranty, and it starts working flawlessly.

I've got until the end of the year before my warranty is out.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Wow very helpfull thread. I actually took the door apart today, without looking at any of the threads as I didn't know what the issue was, but I troubleshooted that it looks like the lock actuator. I finally Googled and I found this thread. Looks like I'm gone have to get a new actuator as my driver side door lock no longer works ahhh. Pain in the ass to use a key each time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There's a clip on the side... push in center "slightly" and pry it out..

Would anyone by chance know the part# for this clip? I've looked at the parts catalog for our car, and can't tell by the images.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
To stay on topic and not to thread jack by any means I'm still in proccess of troubleshooting the parts. I called few dealers to try to get a quote on actuator latch, and the best I found is $91.25 from IronToad.com. Local dealers wanted $125, also I can get it fixed at a dealer for $300 which now I'm just confused if thats for the labor or for labor and parts, either way doesn't matter now.

Also by doing a little bit of research on Clublexus.com I was able to find that these problems are quiet common on 2nd gen GS, once the car gets older. These guys went as far as taking the actuator apart and replacing the motor which can be obtained on ebay for $5.00 or so. I'm hoping that's the actuator and nothing else.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would anyone by chance know the part# for this clip? I've looked at the parts catalog for our car, and can't tell by the images.
I might have one of these laying around... only thing is it wont have the same texture. I gotta check..

To stay on topic and not to thread jack by any means I'm still in proccess of troubleshooting the parts. I called few dealers to try to get a quote on actuator latch, and the best I found is $91.25 from IronToad.com. Local dealers wanted $125, also I can get it fixed at a dealer for $300 which now I'm just confused if thats for the labor or for labor and parts, either way doesn't matter now.

Also by doing a little bit of research on Clublexus.com I was able to find that these problems are quiet common on 2nd gen GS, once the car gets older. These guys went as far as taking the actuator apart and replacing the motor which can be obtained on ebay for $5.00 or so. I'm hoping that's the actuator and nothing else.
got a link? cuz i have the other one just sitting here doing... nothing

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I might have one of these laying around... only thing is it wont have the same texture. I gotta check..

got a link? cuz i have the other one just sitting here doing... nothing
Don't have one. Try searching on clublexus.com or even try searching in google try lexus gs actuator latch and I'm sure stuff will pop up.

Just to update you guys, I took the damn thing apart meaning taking the latch with everything out of the door, what a pain in the ass to take those two rods leading to the handle, I actually removed the handle from the outside and removed them from the top. Actuator is shot, so I'm waiting for it to come in than time to take shit apart again, as I had to put everything back together as I need the car (daily driver).

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'll echo some of the other posters, if your dealer or shop is willing to do this for $200 or so, it's probably worth it to go that route. Did this over the weekend, the part was around $90 from Toyota. Took a few hours since getting the rods in/out was tricky (as others mentioned), and also mounting the actuator on the bracket incorrectly isn't hard to do. I put it all together and the door handle didn't work, did it over and missed something for the locks. On the third time it all worked fine. It's mainly difficult since it's a small area without much room to work with (and it's hard to tell if it's done right until you put it all back together)

·
Registered
578 Posts
We couldnt get a picture of the inside, but if you look in the inside two bars are held by clips, one is white and one is yellowish. just go up on the clips...
this is the closest i got...
For this step.. i was able to find the clips you were talking about. But i was not able to slip the bar out. How much force does it take? Did you take it off from the inside? Or is there a way to do it from the outside...

Did you have trouble getting it back in when you were installing the new actuator??

1 - 20 of 82 Posts