Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes thats right, the three d's

Problems have arisen with the aristo swap.

Dissapointment:

1. 2nd package arrived today containing the cylinder head and turbos. While the cylinder head is good the stock twins are missing alot of hardware. :( various items are also missing of minor importance and cost, however just a hassle to source new ones. Also didnt get my GTE oil pump as requested :(

2. Cost

I need a FULL gasket kit, (~$300) new intercooler setup ($198), water pump ($160) and replacements for all teh parts I'm missing.

Delay:

Christmas has MURDERED my budget for finishing this *right now* so thats sad.

Descisions:

Absoultly torn about both of these descisions

1. The stock twins are shit. They are going to break, heavy and take up alot of room in the engine compartment. I'd almost be willing to bet they generate more heat than a single turbo setup.

-I think i want to go small single on this setup. Prolly a T04? I had a T04 once on my supra and liked it, my t61 was "ok", and my t78 was like unleasing hell when it spooled but it was lag-zilla. Streetability this time! No more highway race car!

2. My transmission. The auto isnt really a tough tranmission in the first place besides the fact its not the "funnest" thing to drive around... come on.... who still uses e-shift? ;) Even with the aristo at stock boost levels with an upgraded valve body I feel its not going to hack it.

-I have a 100% complete w58 5spd swap for the IS including clutch pedal assy. I was going to use it then changed my mind and wasnt... and now I am thinking about it again :suspiciou I REALLY need a v160 again, blowing up a tranmission every 6months isnt a fun thing to do. I think my w58 clutch is a stage 4? and is rated for close to 500hp even though the transmission might give out at anything higher than 350rwhp lol

So in case anyone is wondering how the progress is going and notices I dont post about it, its probably because I'm pieceing together another setup or tearing my hair out in frustration... ;)

FYI the innovate wideband is working wooo hoo!

·
Registered
387 Posts
OUCH man, that sounds kind of like how my week has been going too. I know its easy to say this to a person in the middle of a project than do it but here goes...

Do it right the first time.

Make sure you are doing it how you want it to look like in your head. It might not be the fastest route or the cheapest route but you will be happier in the end.

drop me a PM with the list of stuff you need for the twins to work. I have several friends that have gone 1j and 2j that have spare parts that might help things along. take a day or 2 off, enjoy your family and the holidays and come back to the car later, its not going anywhere :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MKIIIna.

I'll let you know about those parts, I think the twins are dead though... they do not spin freely and I'm a little worried about it. Guess I am going single after all :(

(I got sold a set of busted turbos, lol)

-Brad

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually... I have a gt2540r (aka GT2876R) I want to get rid of, know anyone who will trade me a t4 flanged turbo for it?

the gt2540r is just too frickin small for the 2jz ;(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts