Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't mean to be disloyal to this site, but there's a discussion there about CL-S vs. IS300. There's one post that claims to have done the IS performance tour.
I thought it might be interesting read. This car is certainly bringing a lot of attentions to other sites.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ugh, just reading those posts make me sick. They are talking so much smack about the IS, when I'm sure most of em haven't even seen the car in person.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think it comes down to the following when choosing between the two cars:

Acura TypeS:
Better acceleration
Better performance (until you shift into 4th)
Better luxury and standard options
GPS
<Bland styling>
<4th and 5th gears useless>
<FWD>
<Nameplate vs Lexus>

IS 300
Killer exterior styling
Ridiculously solid quality
Ultra smooth six
Resale
RWD
<No GPS>
<back seat almost unusable for a 4 door>
<interior materials perhaps unlexus like>
<3 grand more w/ fewer options and ponies>

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
I think it comes down to the following when choosing between the two cars:

Acura TypeS:
Better acceleration
Better performance (until you shift into 4th)
Better luxury and standard options
GPS
<Bland styling>
<4th and 5th gears useless>
<FWD>
<Nameplate vs Lexus>

IS 300
Killer exterior styling
Ridiculously solid quality
Ultra smooth six
Resale
RWD
<No GPS>
<back seat almost unusable for a 4 door>
<interior materials perhaps unlexus like>
<3 grand more w/ fewer options and ponies>
brad,
I am one of those trying to decide between these two cars. I have a list of pros and cons very similar to yours. I would add better gas mileage to the CL-S list. I am having a difficult time justifying the price difference, especially when you are getting less options. Lots of them are small, but they begin to add up:
No dimming rearview
No lumbar support (even the ES300 has this)
No console armrest.
Little storage
No memory seats...

Well, you know the list.

I am hoping the test drive will convince me one way or the other. I think I may need professional help to make this decision

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've taken the CL-S for a test drive and think that it's a wonderful car and a terrific value. However, I definitely noticed that while it was very fast, it didn't have any degree of "fun" associated with it. There's nothing I could say bad about it (other than bland styling), but it just never struck me as the kind of car that makes you enjoy driving it. I'm hoping the IS300 will live up to its expectations and make you want to get up in the morning and drive it around
. It's tough to put a price tag on enjoyment and style, though...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't driven the either the CL-S or the IS. But I have no doubt that the IS will be way more fun.

I think the Acura is aim at more "touring type" buyers who values comforts just as much as performance/handling, whereas the IS is a bit more "hardcore". I think it's just different market and preference. I won't say the Acura is bad, which it is not. Just different (I think Honda is just as capable at high performance as Toyota or a couple other Japanese automakers).

Anyway, this car is certainly being noticed and discussed by other groups.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got to say the Cl is not me. I think of it as a Accord Coupe and someone blew it up from the inside. The car is fast Yet it is booring when it comes to styling. The car doesnt stick out at all. heck when I drive by some I dont even look twice. I drove the CL and I was impress with the acceleration yet there was something missing from it.. ya .. better resell value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
BatuKing
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing