Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the rash of horror stories going around from people with F/I, I'm starting to get a little discouraged. I've eliminated going turbo from my options because of all the difficulty people have been having. The ATI from TBKO hasn't gotten too many rave reviews as far as their reliability goes and now the PLP vortech is having misfiring problems.

Thinking that maybe the Powerdyne might be a good solution, I went and checked reviews and basically 9 out of every 10 people who owned one said that they were a piece of shit....bad bearings, broken belts, oil leaks etc.

Not to turn this into a rant or anything....but isn't there ANY semi-reliable, less than high maintenance F/I option out there? When I hear people who have F/I talk about how awesome their car feels and how hard it pulls, I get all :p . But then I hear about cracked pistons, misfiring, and all the other problems, and it makes me think that I'll probably just resign myself to bolt ons....and just wait until I get my next car so that I can get something that's already faster from the factory.

So that's it I guess....I don't really know if there are any comments out there that are helpful, but if you have some....feel free to post.

·
Registered
548 Posts
uhh if you got money. toyomoto and PHR are both extremely reliable. leave the kit how it is, let them tune...they both have SUPREME customer service, and both have a s/c coming out soon. gl :wink:

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
I never heard one complaint about the PFS stage 1....

anything more then conservative, and your looking at losing that "reliable" sticker...the car will becoming higher maintenance as you see with the majority of stage 2 turbo owners...especially those who had kits shipped and didnt have them installed by the Tuner who sells them.....those who have had them installed and tuned at the tuners have had more reliable cars then those who did self install or 3rd party...

just my observations....

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsopranoMB said:

anything more then conservative, and your looking at losing that "reliable" sticker...the car will becoming higher maintenance as you see with the majority of stage 2 turbo owners...

just my observations....
I think Kanine had some serious issues with PFS stage one. Granted, PF gave him super customer service, but he still had to pull his tranny out if I'm not mistaken. Not exactly low maintenance if you ask me.

To be clear...I am talking about a conservative setup. The PLP vortech is a conservative setup as is the powerdyne. To hear problems already with the vortech kits and read horrible reviews about the Powerdyne really sucks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
like any car you heavily modify their is always a possibility of something going wrong..

I also think their were alot of people buying kits and then thinking the "small things" are not necessary until later.

I really believe with the right tuning, all the necessary gauges, wideband o2, and other things will help to make sure you know whats going on with your car day-day.

You have to also realize with so many tuners jus releasing thier kit's in the past year that thier are gonna be a few kinks to iron out.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
craniac24 said:
tsopranoMB said:

anything more then conservative, and your looking at losing that "reliable" sticker...the car will becoming higher maintenance as you see with the majority of stage 2 turbo owners...

just my observations....
I think Kanine had some serious issues with PFS stage one. Granted, PF gave him super customer service, but he still had to pull his tranny out if I'm not mistaken. Not exactly low maintenance if you ask me.

To be clear...I am talking about a conservative setup. The PLP vortech is a conservative setup as is the powerdyne. To hear problems already with the vortech kits and read horrible reviews about the Powerdyne really sucks.
becuase he did all the upgrades himself....he had to do a valve body upgrade to the auto tranny, amongst other things all right in his driveway!!!!

PFS stage 1 is still conservative....especially when house installed.....

8)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Truthfully.......Most Problems occur when its not "in house" install....I haven't heard anything major Recently that has happen in an in house install......so if u want F/i your safest is to get it done in house

I think it has came to a point where you can trush anyone for an In house install out of the major companies for F/I for our car

TBKO
TOYOMOTO
PFS
SRT
PHR
PLP

also heard good things about auto tuner thats supose to come out with a kit for our car that knows about our engine

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you're not prepared to face the potential consequences, don't play! Any aftermarket form of boost has its risks. It's how you manage those risks that makes the difference between having fun and blowing something up.

·
Registered
742 Posts
turbo97se said:
If you're not prepared to face the potential consequences, don't play! Any aftermarket form of boost has its risks. It's how you manage those risks that makes the difference between having fun and blowing something up.
Very True....your putting something that wasn't there stock....anything that doesn't come out of the Factory is taking a risk......

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
craniac24 said:
tsopranoMB said:

just my observations....

becuase he did all the upgrades himself....he had to do a valve body upgrade to the auto tranny, amongst other things all right in his driveway!!!!

PFS stage 1 is still conservative....especially when house installed.....

8)
I would also recommend getting installed by the tuner, its their kit and they designed it, makes sense right..

I along with a few friends installed the the stage one but if I could go back and change that I would.
Ran into a few small things and directions were not great at the time but thats changed now.
PFS, was very helpful and got me on track when I did have a few issues and when they could not be reached I bugged Kane :wink:

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
One thing I was actually curious about... Has anyone really had any issues with the car that didn't do any tuning on their own? I have heard of engine issues on a bunch of guys but didn't most of them tweek the tuning on their own?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
right tuning + necessary equipments (tyranny/oil cooler, right gauges, wideband o2 sensor, etc) = longevity

Had some issues with the installation, but other than that, zero problems (2200 miles for now)

*touch wood*

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
WhiteLex said:
Truthfully.......Most Problems occur when its not "in house" install....I haven't heard anything major Recently that has happen in an in house install......so if u want F/i your safest is to get it done in house

I think it has came to a point where you can trush anyone for an In house install out of the major companies for F/I for our car

TBKO
TOYOMOTO
PFS
SRT
PHR
PLP

also heard good things about auto tuner thats supose to come out with a kit for our car that knows about our engine

best bet to ease your mind is get it house installed my friend :D that is whatever you get

I personally went with pfs jus cuz over setup with me being in hawaii was a better way to go, that is it has engine management that can be tuned with, a little pricey but worth it to me.

if your on a "low boost" budget and live close to srt you could give them a try. Their new kits that are installed their seem to be doing pretty damn good.... like wino and doublins

if you get boost, you have to accept a little more risk my friend. Theres a price to pay for everything, its a matter of how much risk and boost you wanna run. I think most boosted owners will tell you its been worth every penny they put it. I think the risk starts to get high once you start pushin over 400 ponies and your driving habits on the tranny.

once you got boost you don't look back cuz you gotta keep yo eyes on da road :lol:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't heard of very many problems with the plp set ups. The one member had a bad vortech unit but that was no fault of plp. What other problems are you aware of with plp?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
Wxman said:
One thing I was actually curious about... Has anyone really had any issues with the car that didn't do any tuning on their own? I have heard of engine issues on a bunch of guys but didn't most of them tweek the tuning on their own?
yep you're right, 90% of the "cracked piston"(can someone show a picture of this) problems that I know of have all been people jacking the boost a little here or there. It's addictive.

If you were steadfast and ran daily on 12 and bumped it to 14-15 for fun I don't think problems will arrise. IMO anyways. knock on wood

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I know this might sound crazy to the "SRT Haters", but my stage 2 has been absolutly beautiful since it was fixed.

The reason for my problems were because of a installation mistake with the o2 sensor wiring! After that, the car has been running so well it's unbelievable. I havn't had any problems at all since.

The reason why my kit was misfiring was also a result of the o2 wiring...making car run super rich, going into limp mode and THEN misfiring...not misfiring in general. But it's nothing a $300 HKS DLI can't fix.

I must say SRTs stage 2 has been great since the quick fix.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ckd said:
I haven't heard of very many problems with the plp set ups. The one member had a bad vortech unit but that was no fault of plp. What other problems are you aware of with plp?
Another guy is having some minor misfiring at normal highway speeds. I forget who....but it was a recent post.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts