Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so my cars been down for a few months now because one day after finding out my 3rd gear is bad i was driving to the store. Turn off the car and went inside and when i came back out it wouldnt start. I've been having problems with the haltech for awhile... well atleast i thought it was that. The tuner insisted that the e6x was having problems. So i listened to him and sent the unit to Australia which cost me 100 bucks. And now it will cost me another 100 to have it shipped back. So 200 bucks just to have them tell me the unit is fine and something could be wrong with the wiring. What could possibly be wrong with it. Any light on this could relieve some stress right now did any of you have a problem like this?

UPDATES 03-07-2010
Ok so i finally received the E6X back from haltech. Once again still disappointed because my haltech was sent out to australia ( cost me $105 to ship) and finally got a call from them. Spent 240 bucks altogether to ship there and back just for them to tell me that nothing is wrong with it =( So i try to do more investigating by myself before the damn thing goes into the shop. Crank but no spark. And i figure after trying to start it a few times i would smell fuel but i dont so maybe its not getting any fuel either. So what could cause it to have no spark. Keep in mind i was driving to the store and it wouldnt start when i was about to head home.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,028 Posts
I had a problem with my F10X not communicating with the computer when I still had it. I sent it to Haltech and they fixed it and payed for shipping both ways. They probably would have done the same for you if the unit was at fault.

Your just gonna have to check all your wiring and connections, start with grounds. It could be that a wire came loose. Who hooked up your EMS?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the shop did it. Thats the thing though from the time i went in the store and came out i dont know what could have came loose you know. I thought maybe it was a fuse or something but nope i couldnt find a thing. SO now im pretty much screwed

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they never did the check. I went to the shop that day to talk to him about my tranny and when i left and drop by the store. Came out to a dead car. Went back to the shop the next day and told him what had happen and he assume it was the e6x. I did a little more research and asked him if it could be the crank signal or the wiring and he said he is pretty sure its the e6x and not the other problems i brought up. Thats why i sent it out. We had problems with it before the gte bottom end swap. Hit a good bump or rail road and car would start bogging if i try to accelerate. And minutes later it would go back to normal. THen on the day that he finish the swap we plugged the e6x in and try starting it the 5v wire had no power. I helped him pull the wire harness out to the engine bay and we plugged it in and try starting it again and it started. He asked me if i wanted to ship the ecu in and i said no because the problem was on and off and i was running low on money. So i drove it home and didnt have a problem til a week later i was out eating and came out to a dead car. I unplugged it and stuck it back in and it started.. So 2 weeks later it rain real hard and i was caught in and and of course try my best to make it back home and water level reach just the bottom of the car. Let the car run for awhile in the garage to let it heat up and dry some water out. Turn off the car and for some reason i had a feeling something was wrong. So i turn back around and remote start it and it wouldnt come on. Try with the key and still nothing. So i put a fan over the engine bay to dry out whatever was wet. Next day i came out try again still nothing. Push it out of the garage and try again and it started. WEird right? So it did the whole not start up thing every now and then and all i would have to do was unplug and replug and works. Well this time it didnt and so thats why i was like ok its done. Come to find out nothing is wrong with the e6x so im pretty much clueless now and really starting to give up on the ride. Just ordered the srt racing exhaust and got my new built tranny and now i dont know what is wrong with the car. Just my luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well they never did the check. I went to the shop that day to talk to him about my tranny and when i left and drop by the store. Came out to a dead car. Went back to the shop the next day and told him what had happen and he assume it was the e6x. I did a little more research and asked him if it could be the crank signal or the wiring and he said he is pretty sure its the e6x and not the other problems i brought up. Thats why i sent it out. We had problems with it before the gte bottom end swap. Hit a good bump or rail road and car would start bogging if i try to accelerate. And minutes later it would go back to normal. THen on the day that he finish the swap we plugged the e6x in and try starting it the 5v wire had no power. I helped him pull the wire harness out to the engine bay and we plugged it in and try starting it again and it started. He asked me if i wanted to ship the ecu in and i said no because the problem was on and off and i was running low on money. So i drove it home and didnt have a problem til a week later i was out eating and came out to a dead car. I unplugged it and stuck it back in and it started.. So 2 weeks later it rain real hard and i was caught in and and of course try my best to make it back home and water level reach just the bottom of the car. Let the car run for awhile in the garage to let it heat up and dry some water out. Turn off the car and for some reason i had a feeling something was wrong. So i turn back around and remote start it and it wouldnt come on. Try with the key and still nothing. So i put a fan over the engine bay to dry out whatever was wet. Next day i came out try again still nothing. Push it out of the garage and try again and it started. WEird right? So it did the whole not start up thing every now and then and all i would have to do was unplug and replug and works. Well this time it didnt and so thats why i was like ok its done. Come to find out nothing is wrong with the e6x so im pretty much clueless now and really starting to give up on the ride. Just ordered the srt racing exhaust and got my new built tranny and now i dont know what is wrong with the car. Just my luck

are you saying you have a remote starter on your car? if so i would make sure the wiring for that isn't messed up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes remote start, when i got the gte bottom end into the car was also when we install the remote start. Thats when we first thought it was the remote start, thats when we un hooked the remote start and broke it down to something was wrong with either the e6x or its wiring. So thats why we figured it was that. Im gonna ask him to disconnect it again and see what happens when the e6x comes back.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
And minutes later it would go back to normal. THen on the day that he finish the swap we plugged the e6x in and try starting it the 5v wire had no power.
Hymmm, if the 5 volt wire had no power then I'm going to assume your MAP sensor isn't getting power either. Have you tried connecting a PC/laptop and run the Halwin software when attempting to start the car? See if the Haltech sees a MAP and RPM signal?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would try putting the e6x on a seperate switch for power to eliminate the key switch or remote start wiring as a suspect. if the ecu is powering up and can be accessed with halwin, you know that the ecu is doing its job. next would be to check through the wiring to make sure each circuit is intact. it does sound like it could be a synch problem for the crank/cam signal. may want to check those sensors to verify they are working and also double check those circuits to make sure they don't have a break or somewhere. a multimeter and a friend should make pretty quick work of the wire diagnosing if you have a manual for the factory wiring schematic.

Good luck with it!

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
my car wont start somtimes with the remote start. It either has a key under the dash like your spare one or a programable transponder activated by the remote start.

mine always starts with the remote most of the time.

the reason being the car "sees" two keys and the security system thinks somethings wrong. Also flashing the security light.

you can also try cycling the lock and unlock on the starter remote and the actual lexus key to sync them up again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would try putting the e6x on a seperate switch for power to eliminate the key switch or remote start wiring as a suspect. if the ecu is powering up and can be accessed with halwin, you know that the ecu is doing its job. next would be to check through the wiring to make sure each circuit is intact. it does sound like it could be a synch problem for the crank/cam signal. may want to check those sensors to verify they are working and also double check those circuits to make sure they don't have a break or somewhere. a multimeter and a friend should make pretty quick work of the wire diagnosing if you have a manual for the factory wiring schematic.

Good luck with it!

Chris
does anyone have the halwin program to download? My tuner has it but i dont because he does my tune although he did tell me that was what he was going to do once it gets in the shop. And yea we both first thought it could of been the crank signal. Being that its magnetic something could have got on it to make the signal bad. I checked it out and saw nothing on there so i think it could just be the signal itself. I will look into this some more. Car will be going in for new built tranny, srt 3" exhaust and new mishimoto radiator...ahhh more money

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey Krazyguy,

For furture reference Haltech has a location in the US that will service your e6x. Its in Lexington, Kentucky. The exact location is listed on their webpage, Contact Us - Haltech Engine Management Systems

When I couldn't figure out why my haltech wasn't working I was able to send it to that location and they were able to test it for me.

Also on the Haltech website you can download the lastest Halwin software

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
installing that and hooking it up to the car wont reset my tune will it? can anybody kind of walk me through what i should check for?
No it wont reset your tune.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.