Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing HKS camp gauge system for my IS since I have nav and limited space to put my gauges. Are there any cons to getting this system? As far as price, it will end up running in the 700s for everything, but it will be displayed on my nav screen, I wont have to cut holes or drill into my steering area to mount, or worry about installation places. What are the cons, if any? Does anyone have it on the IS? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
VVTIS said:
I am looking at purchasing HKS camp gauge system for my IS since I have nav and limited space to put my gauges. Are there any cons to getting this system? As far as price, it will end up running in the 700s for everything, but it will be displayed on my nav screen, I wont have to cut holes or drill into my steering area to mount, or worry about installation places. What are the cons, if any? Does anyone have it on the IS? Thanks.
I always thought the system look cool. Do you have a fish tank at your house? :wink:

I remember AZTEZZA has it, and I'm pretty sure IS300er does too.
I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you might have...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bk9 said:
VVTIS said:
I always thought the system look cool. Do you have a fish tank at your house? :wink:

Yea, it does look sweet, the screensaver is crazy, it looks like I am going to get it soon, I just need to find the best price around, anyone have any reliable places to purchase this unit from? Thanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have the Defi link display and it works well.

I think you should get that so you can watch tv and see what the gauges are saying.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
VVTIS said:
bk9 said:
VVTIS said:

Yea, it does look sweet, the screensaver is crazy, it looks like I am going to get it soon, I just need to find the best price around, anyone have any reliable places to purchase this unit from? Thanks.
checkout www.optionsauto.com, they got me my springs very quickly and was packaged very well.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neo302 said:
I have the Defi link display and it works well.

I think you should get that so you can watch tv and see what the gauges are saying.
So, what is your Defi hooked up to? HKS? Or is it a stand alone unit?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shiznit said:
VVTIS said:
bk9 said:
VVTIS said:

checkout www.optionsauto.com, they got me my springs very quickly and was packaged very well.
Thanks man, I will check them out.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is EGT necessary for a SC'd car?

·
Registered
69 Posts
VVTIS said:
Yes it is. I was looking at it but it has no fuel pressure or oil pressure.
:pissed:

Ive researched I also has a G sensor feature for HP, role, etc. I can seem to find details on it. It requires a Mitsu G sensor.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
going4boost said:
VVTIS said:
Yes it is. I was looking at it but it has no fuel pressure or oil pressure.
:pissed:

Ive researched I also has a G sensor feature for HP, role, etc. I can seem to find details on it. It requires a Mitsu G sensor.
Yea, I saw that, it does have the temp, but no pressure, it only has boost, EGT and Temp.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My only gripes are as follows:

1. If you want to display analog, you can only display 2 at a time
2. Digital diplay is hard to read although you can show all parameters
3. If you lose the remote control, you are screwed since everything is set up with that and when you disconnect the battery everything disappears.
4. No fuel oil pressure sensor available (someone mentioned this).
5. You need an LCD display (OK if you hook up to NAV screen)
6. Need to hook up a separate speaker for the audio warning, the visual warning is WEAK!

In general it is a pretty nice unit. The other thing is that you'll have fun trying to find somewhere to put the brain and the junction box, especially if you have an EMS. Our cars don't have a huge amount of space behind the dash.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turbo97se said:
My only gripes are as follows:

1. If you want to display analog, you can only display 2 at a time
2. Digital diplay is hard to read although you can show all parameters
3. If you lose the remote control, you are screwed since everything is set up with that and when you disconnect the battery everything disappears.
4. No fuel oil pressure sensor available (someone mentioned this).
5. You need an LCD display (OK if you hook up to NAV screen)
6. Need to hook up a separate speaker for the audio warning, the visual warning is WEAK!

In general it is a pretty nice unit. The other thing is that you'll have fun trying to find somewhere to put the brain and the junction box, especially if you have an EMS. Our cars don't have a huge amount of space behind the dash.
Thanks for the write up man, I am not sure where I am going to put it, I have an Emanage in my glove box already along with an injector ecu, I may put it in there as well and build a false panel for it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I put my Camp brain right where the NAV would be (under the lint tray)since I don't have NAV. The junction box I put behind the glove box. My Engine Management System box is where my stock AMP used to be. I haven't checked for space where the shifter is, there may be some space there. There really is no space anywhere!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One other thing, if I dont add a boost gauge or sensor to the camp, will there be an empty space on the screen? Or does it recognize that there is not a sensor and not display it? Reason being that I am thinking of leaving off the boost gauge because I have a SC, and also it is another 150 for itself.

Chris

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The setup menu allows you to enable or disable ports. Depending on what mode you are in. For the digital bar graph, the disabled ones are "greyed out" and don't move. In analog mode you can only put two gauges up there anyway, you pick which ones. I really wish they had room for just one more!

How badly do you want the camp? I myself am inclined to design a system with a laptop with video out to my LCD. I'll be able to do the monitoring AND EMS tuning from that laptop ... that will be my spring project though, the Camp will do for now. :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
turbo97se said:
The setup menu allows you to enable or disable ports. Depending on what mode you are in. For the digital bar graph, the disabled ones are "greyed out" and don't move. In analog mode you can only put two gauges up there anyway, you pick which ones. I really wish they had room for just one more!

How badly do you want the camp? I myself am inclined to design a system with a laptop with video out to my LCD. I'll be able to do the monitoring AND EMS tuning from that laptop ... that will be my spring project though, the Camp will do for now. :)
Yea, I want the camp because it is digital gauge, I have the e-manage, and there is a way to have ouput settings for that in video form, but I dont want to carry the laptop around in my car all the time, that is why I am opting for the camp. Keep me updated with your solution though. Thanks for the info.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
i don't know about u guys, but i don't really read my gauges that often... but i like it :wink:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Same here as IS300er, don't really look at the gauges that much. Only thing I usually use them for is during a hard run. But with the DEFI gauges, I just have to press record and drive, then at the end of a drive push play and I can see where my boost & EGT's were at. The only gauge I only truly check is my wideband sensor.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IS300eR said:
i don't know about u guys, but i don't really read my gauges that often... but i like it :wink:
So, do you have the CAMP?

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
VVTIS said:
IS300eR said:
So, do you have the CAMP?
yes sir. :chill:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.