Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 IS250 bone stock, 2019 ES350 F-Sport bone stock, 2001 Ford Ranger 2.3L w/ CAI & Gibson Exhaust
3,510 Posts
Based on the road tests I've read, the IS250AWD is what it is, an all wheel drive car and there is probably no way to deselect front wheel drive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's not "part time". There's never a time that 0% power is sent to the front wheels. Norm is, I think, 30%.

You cannont turn off the AWD. I don't think there's ANY car, truck or SUV, which has a "full time AWD" system, where you can de-activate it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be full time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not "part time". There's never a time that 0% power is sent to the front wheels. Norm is, I think, 30%.

You cannont turn off the AWD. I don't think there's ANY car, truck or SUV, which has a "full time AWD" system, where you can de-activate it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be full time.
htats not entirely true, i konw some of the older subarus, there's a fuse you pull out that makes the rear disengage, so basically you have a FWD subaru. not sure if they still have that on the newer models, but back then I believe they did it for emissions testing purposes and waht not.

so thats atleast one "full time awd" car that can be disengaged and I;m sure there are others out htere than can be done, not sure about the IS250 though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
htats not entirely true, i konw some of the older subarus, there's a fuse you pull out that makes the rear disengage, so basically you have a FWD subaru. not sure if they still have that on the newer models, but back then I believe they did it for emissions testing purposes and waht not.

so thats atleast one "full time awd" car that can be disengaged and I;m sure there are others out htere than can be done, not sure about the IS250 though.
+rep, you are correct
Z

·
Registered
276 Posts

Ok--but that's a "hack". You can't "use the AWD when you wish", as the OP asked, if you have to reach under the dash and re-insert the fuse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok--but that's a "hack". You can't "use the AWD when you wish", as the OP asked, if you have to reach under the dash and re-insert the fuse.
whether it is a "hack" or not is impertinent to what you stated earlier.

your statement was that there is no AWD vehichle in existance wherein the AWD could be deactivated.

I was merely pointing out that is not true.

regarding it being a "hack" or not, what exactly is a hack, and not a hack. When does one draw the line?

If I am required to reach under the dash to pull a fuse and re-insert it when I am done, it would allegedly be a "hack".

What if I installed a switch inline with said fuse, and facilitate the switch on the surface of the dash somewhere? Then would it not be a "hack" anymore? Or is it still a hack because the means of the deactivating would effectively be the same?

·
Registered
571 Posts
it wouldnt be called AWD if u can just choose wat u want when u want lol, the most u can do is send 70% full time to the back without front tires giving more then 30% no matter how much slipping by disengaging the VSC. If u wanna kno how to do that it depends on where ur car was sold, US or Canada, and wat year, so go check out some of the forums for that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My understanding is that it's a secondary driveshaft with an electromechanic clutch that transfers power from the rear back to the front. I don't see how it can be disabled short of disassembling the whole transmission.

·
Registered
111 Posts
my question is.. why would u buy an AWD car and then wonder if u could turn it off... ??? i mean should just have bought a 4x4 SUV or something if your worried bout "disengaging" your AWD... but hey.. ohh well..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
becuz i saw on drivingtv.ca the woman said the awd remains a rwd bias until front traction is lost
so i was wondering if theres a way to shut down the front and only use RWD only wen desired

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.