Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on a satellite service. What do you guys have? Or if you have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Depends on how hard core you are about your TV. I had the same issue to face and I went with Dish Network - why? Price. They have a Top 50 package that is 22.99 plus tax. Top 100 is 31.99 I believe. Direct TV's base package starts off at 110 channels for 32-33 per month. Locals are about the same - $6-$7 per month. Dish Network is $6 for us for locals. Also, DN charges you $5 a month for each extra receiver after the first one and $49 to activate. DTV also charges $5 a month per extra receiver plus $49 for the extra equipment, but no activation fee. So the pricing is quite similar.

Programming is very similar for the Top 100 and the other with 110 channels. One thing I don't like about the Top 50 is that there is no Fox Sports channel included, a ploy to make you get their Top 100 I'm sure. I think it comes down to the PPV and the sports packages that make them different. Go to their websites and see what channels they offer in their r4espective packages. You'll see they are quite similar, except for the odd ball channels like Greek TV, NASA Vision, etc, etc.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
ITALIAN LEX said:
direct TV, my girlfriend has that and it's so much better than my dads dish crap.
How so? Seriously, that is not helpful whatsoever. I have no qualms with Dish Network, besides the lack of Fox Sports from the Top 50 package. But since I am no slave to TV, I am cool with it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The only reason i have directv is because they have the tivo service incorporated into the recievers. If your a tv fan you will love tivo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can't get the NFL Ticket on the Dish network so it was an easy choice for me to go with Direct TV but if sports isn't a big thing you could probably save a little $ going with the Dish network. Of course there is rumors that they might merge so it could be a moot point anyway.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
hector060 said:
The only reason i have directv is because they have the tivo service incorporated into the recievers. If your a tv fan you will love tivo.
You can get the 508 receiver with Dish Network that has 70 hours recording time and is cheaper per month to use.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
hector060 said:
YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL.
I love that TIVO/Direct TV combo.
But even without that, DirectTV is like Coke and Dish Network is like Dr Pepper.
Dont let that WOW advertising fool ya. They are only second best.

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
DirecTv is cool, but we had issues getting our second one hooked up in my room. Since it has been hooked up though, no problems.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hector060 said:
TIVO is way cool. My friend had it for a while. Everytime there was nothing to watch we just watch whatever was recorded.

But are there any different features for both services. Are movies more expensive on one side than the other? It seems like they are both reliable services, I guess it comes down to a flip of the coin.

·
Registered
201 Posts
defiantly go with direct tv. the menu system is so much friendlier and easy to use. plus there are a lot of channels that dish doesnt offer. and i velieve direct tv has the largest assortment of HD programming ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
ZaKapitan
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing