Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I replaced my "TRAC OFF" switch with a "normally closed" switch (so my traction control defaults to off when I start the car), and I run in "ECT PWR" mode (on the transmission) all the time, I have had a minor issue with the bright dash indicator lights overpowering the rest of the display at night.

Solution: Remove the 3 screws holding the dashboard cover plate on (two above the speedo, one below the ignition key slot), pull back the panel, then release the plastic clips that hold the gauge cluster dust cover in place (the clips are part of the clear plastic). Once I had it removed, I used a black "sharpie" pen to write over the "TRAC" and "ECT PWR" indicators. Now they are much more dim, but still show up (slightly) at night.

A little bit tacky perhaps, but I got the desired effect.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
You gotta admit, that nasty green ECT POWER light is a bit annoying with such a nice amber glowing dash...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey TEG,

How did you set the Trac Off as the default? Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

Mark

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove traction control switch with a knife blad. (it pops out).

Unplug the connector. The middle two conductors are for the light. Just get a "normally closed, momentary" switch and connect it to the outer two conductors. I got a blank switch panel from a Toyota parts department, and drilled a hole in it so I could mount a generic switch in that Toyota standard mounting hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing