Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some recommendation. I need to find a way to digitize my photos, and I am at the cross road here. I am trying to decide between a good digital SLR (like D60) or a good film scanner. There seems to be many problem with digital SLR still, and it doesn't completely suit my application, as I like to take high speed action (race cars, airplanes, etc.). The D60 can only shoot 8 frames continuously at 3fps. However, using a digital SLR can give me direct access to the photos after shooting them, instead of having to go to the shop and have the film developed, and have the film scanned into the computer.

The question I have is, which one is better for those who has used it? Please don't tell me to get something like G3, because that won't do. It has to be either a good digital SLR, or a good scanner like Canon FS2720U or the FS4000US. I have never used a film scanner before, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
daniel...

i used to do pro and freelance photography and dealt with this issue... if you're contemplating a film scanner, i assume you have film bodies and lenses for a specific system (either nikon or canon most likely - assume canon b/c of mention of D60). If i were you, i'd sell off a film body and use that towards the cost of a digital SLR.

i owned a D30 for a year and it was the greatest camera ever - i will never go back to film. i sold it recently because i'm not doing it professionally any more so i didn't need it.

as far as your needs for shooting high speed action, the D60 should do just fine. learn how to use it - learn its strengths and weaknesses and you'll be fine. image quality is SUPERIOR to film bar none. even shooting chromes and drum scanning them won't yield quality like a top end digi slr. if speed is really that big of an issue, try and find a used 1D - i think they're around $4k for the body nowadays... that's got the same speed and feel to the EOS-1v... a truly amazing camera.

i know the initial investment is large, but i don't think you'll be disappointed... digital has so many advantages once you get over the initial learning curve you'll never want to go back to film... the new canon 1ds and new kodak digi are around 14 megapixels... better quality than medium format... film is fading quick.

good luck with your decision

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
ISthree00
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing