Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I've been running a Drift Motion 3.58 kit with my stock LSD for a while now in conjunction with the CD009, which was a huge improvement over stock. I've always wanted to go lower (3.26) so I finally dove in and started sourcing parts for a GS swap. 2001 GS430 diff, Figgs weld in mounting plate/ poly bushings, and a Tenaci 200mm Supra helical LSD, the last of which just arrived today. The LSD was difficult to source so I thought I'd share it with others in case you've never heard of it.. I stumbled across it on the web and it came from Sweden. The carrier is very robust, a helical design that is allegedly much stronger than the stock Supra helical design. It wasn't cheap but about equal in price to the midrange clutch types out there, which I wasn't interested in due to excessive chatter and disc wear. I'm really looking forward to getting the ball rolling on this project, we'll see what the schedule looks like over the holidays.
Saw Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sports equipment Gas
Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Gas Automotive wheel system
Toy airplane Wood Aircraft Monoplane Model aircraft

·
Registered
691 Posts
No way around it, you gotta pay to play.

I did a T56 magnum (close ratio) and the 3.73 or 3.90 gears are just too tall... So I swapped a 4.30 BRZ diff.

Thanks for sharing; what is the brand to the diff you got? Link?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"Thanks for sharing; what is the brand to the diff you got"? Link?

It's a Tenaci Motorsports part, which you can hit them up on Facebook. I actually purchased it through a place called Pony Drift but this exact piece is not featured on their website, so no link available.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hey that’s cool, haven’t seen a Torsen - style LSD for the 200mm diffs, only the clutch -style Kaaz and OSG ones. Poked around on Google and saw this and wondered if it was the same as you bought? Sure looks similar.

You think this’ll load up the engine and get into boost sooner? It’ll be pretty close to like a V160/3.26 combo, right?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,927 Posts
Hey that’s cool, haven’t seen a Torsen - style LSD for the 200mm diffs, only the clutch -style Kaaz and OSG ones. Poked around on Google and saw this and wondered if it was the same as you bought? Sure looks similar.

You think this’ll load up the engine and get into boost sooner? It’ll be pretty close to like a V160/3.26 combo, right?
Aren’t the is300 diffs 200mm?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Aren’t the is300 diffs 200mm
The IS300 diffs are 200mm, you’re absolutely correct. The MKIV Supra came with a 220mm “big” diff and a 200mm “little” diff. Akarilo’s is the same as the Supra 200mm one, also used in SC3/400, GS3/400, and probably more cars. It’s not a straight swap into an IS300 though.

The problem with the IS300 200mm diff, is that you cannot go any taller than 3.58 gearing. It’s just not physically big enough. You have to step up to the Supra style 200mm “little” diff, and I think the 3.26 is as tall as it goes, not sure though. This diff requires some bracket welding wizardry and different axles in the IS300 because of the pinion offset to accommodate the larger ring gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes, I tried to go through CBS initially and their communication was terrible and not very confidence inspiring, they also claimed that they manufactured the part themselves but apparently it's Tenaci.

As for the ratio, yes, right about the same as the Supra setup.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Here is an excel spreadsheet where you can key-in your tire size, trans ratios and diff ratio - and it will output a chart of vehicle speed and engine rpm for each gear. It also graphs it. It also allows you to key-in two different combos, and it graphs them both on the same page so you can visually compare:

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,927 Posts
Hey that’s cool, haven’t seen a Torsen - style LSD for the 200mm diffs,
I was referring to this specifically. I was under the assumption that the factory diff is a Torsen style diff? I am very new to these cars though so please correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Factory IS300 LSD is a Torsen Type 2.

They are excellent for street/roadrace but are usually less aggressive than other types of LSD.

Its a good thing the world didn't have to wait for me to invent this style diff. Its weird and unintuitive; check youtube for a ''how it works'' video. Pure wizardry.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,927 Posts
Factory IS300 LSD is a Torsen Type 2.

They are excellent for street/roadrace but are usually less aggressive than other types of LSD.

Its a good thing the world didn't have to wait for me to invent this style diff. Its weird and unintuitive; check youtube for a ''how it works'' video. Pure wizardry.
Oh I know how it works and it’s my preferred style LSD. I road race a bunch. They provide a nice smooth transition to oversteering. Also miatas have this style of diff in some models back in the day.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
@ill_mannered : The factory IS300 diff is Torsen. You can also direct swap in a MK3 clutch style diff. But Akarilo’s diff is physically bigger, even though it’s a 200mm. The only LSD carriers that I’ve seen for the bigger 200mm, is a clutch type from OS Giken or KAAZ.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ill_mannered : The factory IS300 diff is Torsen. You can also direct swap in a MK3 clutch style diff. But Akarilo’s diff is physically bigger, even though it’s a 200mm. The only LSD carriers that I’ve seen for the bigger 200mm, is a clutch type from OS Giken or KAAZ.
And like Kris and myself mentioned earlier, the IS case is limited to 3.58 which is not tall enough for my liking with the CD009. The new ratio (3.26) is the main reason I went this route, and this carrier is definately much stronger than stock. Plus, I love projects and my car has been "finished" for a while, so time for another addition.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I love projects and my car has been "finished" for a while, so time for another addition.
That “feeling” has cost a lot of money of the years 😂, but it sure is fun!

thinking he hadn’t seen a 200mm Torsen type diff for the is300 and I’m over here like…uh it comes with one
Haha well I wasn’t real good at explaining it, plus Toyota is confusing calling them 200mm but the pumpkins are different sized.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts