Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know shit about car. what is this? i have an auto IS. can some one point me to the right direction. where is it located and when do i need to replace it? i have 38k on my car. never serviced except for oil and filter.

ps. for my NY IS's out here, where do you guys take your IS for service?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The differential oil is located in the rear end. It is in the center section of the rear axle assembly. I dont believe it has to be changed until 60k miles if I am not mistaken. It might be a good idea to change it at 30k though. I am planning on changing mine at that interval. I do all of my own maintenance myself. Its not difficult I would recommend you do the same. If you are at 38k you should replace your engine air filter and cabin air filter as well. I believe they recommend changing the coolant and brake fluid at 30k also. Definitely change the air filters though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
What is the type and weight of differencial oil is needed?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bossman, where in NY r u actually from? i've seen a few IS's after i got my but have not been able to meet someone who has one. I think is time too. I'm from battery park city, NYC. work in westschester,putnam, and long island.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about you kamis300, where in NY r u from?
county?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Differential oil goes in the differential case which is the big round (looking from back) thing in the middle of the rear axle. I believe there are two plugs, one to fill and the other to drain.

Check your owner's manual for the oil type, but I believe it is 75W90 gear oil. I recommend Redline synthetic 75W90 which has the friction modifier alredy added in.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'am from Long Island

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh BTW i did check in the manual but found nothing about diff oil.
I thought Red Line was only for manual.. I have a 2001 auto.
I did speak to two dealerships one told me 90w and the other 40w.. :crazy:
I dont know for sure but if anyone who has changed it just drop a line and let me know... Thanx

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm from long island.

I believe its 75W90 like Aaron said. 40 weight is too thin for a differential. That's strange that they don't specify that in the owners manual.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I looked through the manual all i found was Tranny fluid type, Oil capacity etc.. Nothing about the Rear Diff.. Thanks guys

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also have a 2001 auto. I changed the oil, diff, and coolant.

The diff oil is 75w90. I choose to go with mobil1 synch gear oil. (about 8.00/quart) You should buy 3 qts.

AS for the oil , I also choose mobil 1 sych, needed bought 6qts.

(sorry I cant help with a shop, my dad is a finance manager for toyota and I got all my service for free, I just brought the supplies)

PEACE!

·
Registered
754 Posts
mr_alex2 said:
I also have a 2001 auto. I changed the oil, diff, and coolant.

The diff oil is 75w90. I choose to go with mobil1 synch gear oil. (about 8.00/quart) You should buy 3 qts.

AS for the oil , I also choose mobil 1 sych, needed bought 6qts.

(sorry I cant help with a shop, my dad is a finance manager for toyota and I got all my service for free, I just brought the supplies)

PEACE!

Thanks alot for the help :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, thanks a lot guys for the help. BTW what is the exact amount of quarts it takes 3 or 8. i dont want to overfill it. not to sound gay, perhaps bossman, or kami can teach a fellow IS owner like myself how to service my IS to avoid paying top $$ for it. Im willing to pay u guys intead.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, thanks a lot guys for the help. BTW what is the exact amount of quarts it takes 3 or 8. i dont want to overfill it. not to sound gay, perhaps bossman, or kami can teach a fellow IS owner like myself how to service my IS to avoid paying top $$ for it. how bout it fellows, wanna help old mannyblaze out just one time in teaching me.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The only way to overfill the differential is if the car is on an angle while you fill it. There are two plugs on the differentail. One at the bottom to drain it and one about halfway up the side which is where you fill it. Simply fill it until the fluid starts coming out of the fill hole. I'm not sure on the exact capacity of the differential, but its definitely not close to 8 quarts. My guess is somewhere inbewteen 2 and 3 quarts. BEFORE you drain the fluid, make sure you are able to remove the fill plug. If you drain the fluid and then find out you dont have the tools/muscle to remove the fill plug you will be stuck. Also its kind of tight by the differential. You should invest in one of those pumps that screw on top of the oil container so you can pump it in there. It may get messy if you try to fit the oil containter up in there.
Since you car has 38k have you changed the brake fluid yet?

·
Registered
300 Posts
My local dealership told me the rear Diff fluid is 80W-90. It's not actually listed in the Service Manual :roll: . Capacity is less than 2 quarts. They do use a diff additive (friction modifier), so add some if you use a fluid without it. Don't forget to buy new crush washers and torque them, cause leaks SUCK.

Access to the rear diff is fine, if you try the tranny you'll understand how open the diff is.

BTW, the fill on the tranny is spec'd at 2.7 Quarts, so you'll need 3 bottles for that of 75W-90.

I just switched to Amsoil b/c they sold all the fluids I needed. Performance gain isn't noticeable, shifting "feels" smoother, but the tranny does seem harder to shift into 1st and 2nd at low speeds. That was something that was apparent before changing fluids though.

HTH,
John

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think MannyBlaze has an automatic, as do I.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bossman: no, i haven't change the brake fluids yet. im going to change it with all my fluids.

do our tranny have a filter that we need to change?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I believe there is a screen in the transmission, but this can only be accessed by removing the transmission pan. I did not hear or see anything about changing this screen in the owners manual. I dont believe the dealer changes this either I think they simply drain and refill the transmission pan using the drain plug. But there are no external filters if thats what you were inquiring about.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BossMan said:
I believe there is a screen in the transmission, but this can only be accessed by removing the transmission pan. I did not hear or see anything about changing this screen in the owners manual. I dont believe the dealer changes this either I think they simply drain and refill the transmission pan using the drain plug. But there are no external filters if thats what you were inquiring about.

is there 1 plug to refill/drain, or two. how do i know which one is which.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.