Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, my engine check light is on now, have no idea why? my appointment is a week later, I just wanna make sure there's nothing big so I can still drive it for this week.
the only thing I can think of is the oil change I did maybe 3 weeks ago. it was the first time I change oil for this car. what kinda filter u guys use? but I'm not even sure that caused the problem, cuz I had a 700 mile road trip after the oil change, and it was still fine for a week. any idea guys? thanks

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
it could be anything, but be sure to check that your gas cap is on tight...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Doubt it's the oil change since you said you been driving for 3 weeks before it came up.

Did you get gas and forget to tighten the cap? That too will cause the check engine to come on if it's not tight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, now more serious problem. :(
I restet ECU... the CELight is gone now. but the car is totally messed up...
it doesn't shift right. (it's an auto). now the rpm will rev to 5 or 6 before it shift gear... it seems that it's always shifting at the wrong time and irregularly. sometime it'll also draw me back and suddenly just push me out again.
I remember similar thing happend to the prelude i had before, that's when the oil leaked into my distributor. but our car doesn't even have distributor right?
but why would reseting the ECU mess it up more... feel like an idiot.
help help plz... thanks...

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
either go to AutoZone and have them read the CEL code and post here and I'll tell you what it is or take it in to Lexus. Silly question, but do you still have oil in the car?

c2kdb said:
Okay, now more serious problem. :(
I restet ECU... the CELight is gone now. but the car is totally messed up...
it doesn't shift right. (it's an auto). now the rpm will rev to 5 or 6 before it shift gear... it seems that it's always shifting at the wrong time and irregularly. sometime it'll also draw me back and suddenly just push me out again.
I remember similar thing happend to the prelude i had before, that's when the oil leaked into my distributor. but our car doesn't even have distributor right?
but why would reseting the ECU mess it up more... feel like an idiot.
help help plz... thanks...

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
stupid question, but what kind of oil and weight did you use? someone previously posted that when he switched to synthetic it blew back into his airbox. this could foul up your MAF sensor..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used mobile1 synthetic blend, 10w-30. I think it should be fine, what about filter? i didn't know which kind, so I just went to pepboys and asked for it, the expensive one was out of stock, so I had to get the cheaper one.
but, as i said. i really doubted it's the oil change that caused the problem since I drove more then 800 miles after the oil change. only the ecl came up at first, the serious problem came up after i reset the ECU. damn... well, I hope the warranty will cover it. Maybe I should just play dumb with the dealer? :wink: taking to the dealer tomorrow. hope it'll be fine... :cry:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigDaddyRich said:
Did your oil filter run slack? maybe u got a pressure leak?
not sure, but i can check. doubted, since the problem started right after i reset the ecu, not change the oil.
I disconnected the + instead of - when resting the ecu? would that cause any problem?? don't think so either. :-? oh well, i'll know tomorrow, whatever is it, hope the warranty will cover it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just play dumb when you go in. Just said the car started acting funny and CEL came in. If you say you did something to it, they might charge you $$$$.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
If you disconnected the positive wire, then you may have blown a fuse while it was off or putting it back. Check your fuses.

Also, check and clean the MAS. That's the usual cause of poor running.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, just came back from the dealer...
my home is about 45 mins driving from the dealer
Like always, when I get to there, the problem is gone.. :pissed: it was still pretty bad this morning when i first start the car.
and since I reset the ECU, the CEL is not there nor stored any where for them to read the code... so they couldn't really tell what's the problem.
but at least I mentioned the TSIB003-01 issue, and they took care of that. I was always lazy to get that done. although I've never heard that not reprogramming the ecu will cause this big of problem, I actually hope that it was the cause.
thanks, guys for trying to help... hope this is the end of it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts