Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put my car up on jack stands an did my 6 speed tranny swap last night (gte swap kit). Everything went well until the end when I started my car up.

provlem: I get out of the car and I see about .25 quarts of tranny fluid on the ground. I looked at it and it looks like its leaking from the rear oil seal of the trans output. I didn't replace the rear oil seal. Will replacing the rear oil seal FIX the leak? Or could it be that I didn't press the gte swap kit output flange into the tranny enough?

Hopefully that made sense. Anybody with the gte swap kit please help. Thanks guys.

-Henson

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have the same kit, mine doesnt always go into first and I have a leak from the rear but it might just be a coincedence. Is your 6 speed new?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics will be up shortly.

Sentinal- my 6 speed is used from the orange lexus is300 circuit car. Did you replace your rear oil seal? Does it leak a lot?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
No not alot, I stopped looking

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you replace your rear oil seal when you swapped the oem yoke with the "gte" yoke?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
make sure your drive shaft is aligned properly (youll know it isnt aligned if you a)look at it and b)you will get a vibration) and yes change the oil seal. Also, check the slip yoke and make sure that there isnt a wear groove in it from the old oil seal. if there is polish it out till there is no grove.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wear groove? I never really inspected the new yoke I put in. I don't think it has any wear grooves. What do you mean by the drive shaft being aligned properly? Where the center bearing bolts to the rear shaft?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
the whole drive shaft. I f you look at and it isnt straight, then it isnt aligned correctly. Break it at the center bearing, remove the u joint and there is a nut.. you have to adjust it one spline at time to align correctly.. I dunno if gte puts alignment marks on the shaft you may want to ask him if there is any marks to line up. You may now have a slight wear grovv if it was aligned incorrectly. It would be off balance and create a vibration. The friction of the seal retaining spring could wear into the slip yoke.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its aligned correctly. My friend just checked it out. So its either the rear oil seal or the shaft seal. Or even both. I'm leaning more towards the shaft seal cause it leaks when the car is at idle and the driveshaft isn't even spinning

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
if the driveshaft isnt in all the way into the rear, its not sealing all the way. the custom shaft might be too short? had a problem with this in a Starlet. maybe it'll help.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its in all the way. Weird thing is it only leaks in nuetral. It doesn't leak when its in gear but when I iget out of gear and put it neutral it starts to leak. I'm ordering a new seal tomorrow

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
itz_jOw3 said:
whoa this is scary... lolz

im having doubts on my swap ~

there are no swap kits for an eshift. Its all custom and will cost at least 7-8k for you if you want a V160.

·
Registered
635 Posts
its coming from the tail shaft seal. replacing it probably wont stop the leak. mine still leaks a little here and there but not bad. if u would have compared the new yoke with the old one, its noticeable smaller. what if found to help is to remove the shim/washer in between that big nut and the tail shaft so that the yoke is pressed as far is as possible. u may have to use an impact gun. about the grinding gears.... sound like u got some worn trans internals.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok update. I looked at the tail shaft seal and it doesn't leak. The leak only comes from the rear oil seal. When I replace the rear seal I will try to put just the nut and not the washers. But wouldn't it be the same thing since the washer sits on the outside of the yoke (between the nut and the yoke) which means the yoke can't go in any further?

·
Registered
635 Posts
goldaltezza808 said:
Ok update. I looked at the tail shaft seal and it doesn't leak. The leak only comes from the rear oil seal. When I replace the rear seal I will try to put just the nut and not the washers. But wouldn't it be the same thing since the washer sits on the outside of the yoke (between the nut and the yoke) which means the yoke can't go in any further?

i think we are talking about the same seal. removing the shims may not sound like it will do anything but it stopped mine dramaticly. at first, it was a drip every few seconds, now one every couple of days. if GTE gave u the same yoke he gave me, place the new seal over the machined surface. u will notice that it fits very loose and has gaps on some areas. then put it over the original yoke.... thats how it should fit. i dont think u will ever get it to stop leaking completely but u should be able to slow it down.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
the 6spd also leak from the shifter some times.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
is your clutch disk in backwards, it can be the problem. trust me, mine was installed backwards and I had the same problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts