Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound like a troll, but with the pricing this low ($200 over invoice), you have wonder if Lexus made too many IS300s. Lexus is bending over backwards to move the '01 models. Offering $500 rebates to buyers and $1000 rebate to dealers. This shouldn't be happening until July/August at which point the '02s come out. Is Lexus running scared?

·
Registered
631 Posts
There is an economic downturn that is affecting pretty much all industries. You can see all sorts of discounts and rebates for cars, electronics, etc. Look at the price of RAM; I found 256MB sticks for $42 last week. Lexus needs to move product, and they are offering an incentive to do so.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
don't you think the advent of the 5 speed is contributing to that as well?

------------------
"Who do you want to be today?
Who do you want to be?
Who do you want to be today?
Do you want to be just like
Someone on T.V?"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by Chiphead:
...you have wonder if Lexus made too many IS300s. Lexus is bending over backwards to move the '01 models. Is Lexus running scared?
The economic downturn clearly was not anticipated. The key demographic for the vehicle is the upwardly mobile young executive. Unfortunately many in this category suffered with the collapse of the stock market and the tech companies. The options which were to be worth a lot are worthless. Hence, the market that the IS 300 was aimed at, shrunk significantly.

Did they make too many? Lexus could slow down production, but they have apparently decided to maintain original levels.

Obviously, it is a benefit to those now buying vehicles because they can take advantage of a situation rarely seen with the name Lexus on it--very, very low margin pricing available from a luxury carmaker.

[This message has been edited by Oxybeles (edited March 19, 2001).]

·
15,322 Posts
we've had this discussion before

i want to say no, and this is why;
for this first production year (01 models) Lexus had expected to only sell 9000 units, but sales were damn good as of last count- there were over 12000 units sold. The pattern and average monthly sales projects that the IS could very well move 25000 units a year (like they expect for 02) but now with the tech stocks going under, as well as a number of rearwheel drive sports sedans and cars are coming out or rumored, ppl will wait and see, and maybe the 02s will not sell as expected, only time will tell.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So you guys are saying, right now is a good time to buy an IS? Right now do you think they would sell an IS to me for 31 or 30? Because of stock, and 2002 modles coming out soon right now is a good time to buy?

------------------
******CAR FOR SALE IN BAY AREA********

1985 Corvette, Black, 61,000 Miles on it. New Rims, Tires, Everything Automatic, A/C, seats automatic ..windows.

Always garaged, immaculate condition

Asking price *****PRICE DROP***** 8,500.00 is the NEW asking price.
Contact me on this board or at [email protected]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Originally posted by BoYiE:
So you guys are saying, right now is a good time to buy an IS? Right now do you think they would sell an IS to me for 31 or 30? Because of stock, and 2002 modles coming out soon right now is a good time to buy?
The ideal price would be at invoice price and probably little below that? The we are at the begining of a downturn in all markets.

This is a good time to purchase, I would suggest play with the dealer. Say is that your final answer? Then go to the next dealer. By the way have a cell phone ready and see if the other sales person at the first dealer would bargain.

If possible have them throw everything in and may be get free oil changes for the next two years or for the lifetime that you own the car if you are paying at full invoice pricing. If you plan to finance go for an 8% or below that! Good luck!

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300 Leather package/moonroof/pwr tilt and homelink pkg, 17 chrome, and still thinking about the spoiler? But no LSD for 31900
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SEL (not sure if want to sell)

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by sacremon:
There is an economic downturn that is affecting pretty much all industries. You can see all sorts of discounts and rebates for cars, electronics, etc. Look at the price of RAM; I found 256MB sticks for $42 last week. Lexus needs to move product, and they are offering an incentive to do so.
WHERE IS THE RAM AT????? I NEED SOME!

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where did you learn of the rabate? I haven't taken possession yet and would like to see if I can get one. Any details you can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks
Originally posted by Chiphead:
I don't want to sound like a troll, but with the pricing this low ($200 over invoice), you have wonder if Lexus made too many IS300s. Lexus is bending over backwards to move the '01 models. Offering $500 rebates to buyers and $1000 rebate to dealers. This shouldn't be happening until July/August at which point the '02s come out. Is Lexus running scared?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lexus_IS300

If you have a VIA chipset-based motherboard, go to UpgradePlanet.com. The RAM is now $45 for a stick, but still a deal. I got the same stuff a couple months ago when it was $70 for a stick.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by RodGrp:
The ideal price would be at invoice price and probably little below that? The we are at the begining of a downturn in all markets.

This is a good time to purchase, I would suggest play with the dealer. Say is that your final answer? Then go to the next dealer. By the way have a cell phone ready and see if the other sales person at the first dealer would bargain.

If possible have them throw everything in and may be get free oil changes for the next two years or for the lifetime that you own the car if you are paying at full invoice pricing. If you plan to finance go for an 8% or below that! Good luck!

Haha thaz exactly what I'm doing.
Making dealders compete each othern
So far, I got one of the dealer to deal for $1000 over invoice. Should I try to go down more or just deal at this point?

------------------
K.P. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is also currently a $1000 manufacturer to dealer rebate for the IS300, so you should be able to get the car for at least the invoice price.

Originally posted by Rookie84:
So far, I got one of the dealer to deal for $1000 over invoice. Should I try to go down more or just deal at this point?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by Rookie84:

Where in Virginia? The dealer closes to me is in VA Beach and they don't look like they are willing to go down. Even that my friend got his fr $31,500 with leather and Sunrrof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
14 Participants
Papo-Salsa
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing