Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just because NASCAR cars run Mobil1 does that mean that my daily driven IS300 should be running Mobil1? Last I remember, IS300 is not a NASCAR car.

Thanks Square1 that's the first solid thing I see

·
Registered
680 Posts
http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf

5w30 scores (pg 156):

AMSOIL XL7500: 765

Royal Purple Multi-Grade: 645

The AMSOIL scored the highest out of the 5w30s, while the closet Royal Purple was over 100 points behind it, with about 40 other oils beating it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I pretty much get everything at walmart and pep boys when they have rebates.

At walmart, mobil 1 and mobil dino jugs, $18-25 bucks for 5 gal.

And mobil 1 filter for $10 at walmart regular price or purolator pureone's for $6 at pepboys, both sometimes free after rebate...

·
Your Dad
13,297 Posts
it depends what you want in your car.

in terms of what you got, no you didn't get ripped off because you want the stuff you're used to...which you say is good quality oil.

in terms of price points vs. the competitors, yes you did. you paid twice as much for the RP stuff than all the other stuff out there. i've been using mobil1 since i first start driving and i've never had any complaints. and fram filters usually cost around 4 bucks...so you got raped there too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well Jetta has cartridge filter, and for some reason those are expansive (i was suprised myself to see fram for $10+).

I guess also in terms of "did I get ripped off" - if you count in the time I saved by going to shucks that's right on my way, without any lines, and just got everything I needed - compared to doing this at walmart, I'd say I probably saved $40 worth of my time :)

So, factoring that in my original purchase, I filled up a 3l I6 and 2.8l V6 with Royal Puprle, some other oil, and nice filters, for a subjective $70. I think that's a good deal.

But then again I'm not factoring in the time I'll spend under the car.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Just because NASCAR cars run Mobil1 does that mean that my daily driven IS300 should be running Mobil1? Last I remember, IS300 is not a NASCAR car.

hes just stating that you can get quality oil for cheap

Your DD IS300 doesnt need royal purple.

o ya. Mobil 1 FTW

·
Class III Aficionado
21,418 Posts
heck even Ferrari doesnt run RP in their cars from the factory. its all quaker state. and as my saying goes, "if its good enough for ferrari, then its good enough for me"

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I've never been sold on Mobile 1. My old STi ate through the stuff as did my old WRX. With Amsoil neither burned a drop. Regardless of what anyone says, Amsoil is the best oil money can buy, and there are countless tests out there to prove it.

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts

Are you seriously that stupid? Does your car make 800hp? Does it do 200mph for 500 straight miles? Do you have any remote clue on what type of stuff that does to a motor? If its good enough to keep one of those engines running for that long its good enough to make your lexus last forever.

Your right your lexus isnt a Nascar it doesnt have half the amount of technology and R&D into the engine. In short your engine is a pos compared to the motors they run.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Is there any actual reasoning behind all the "royal purple is garbage"? Or do you just say that because that's not what you use and it's more expensive? I haven't seen a single rational argument.
Its purely based on value or benefit to cost ratio. It just doesn't justify spending $9 vs $6 for a quart when you are not gaining anything over other top quality synthetics (Mobil 1, Valvoline Sypower, Pennzoil Platinum) And you end up dumping that oil every 5K mi, which in fact is a waste for synthetic oils. If you read oil forums and oil analysis you'll see that 5K mi are mroe than safe on quality DINO oils. Shit even dealers change with dino every 5K mi.

According to tests ( 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower is better than Mobil 1 5w-30). If you want "better" prottection which once again is a loaded word, you need to step up to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30. Although for the money, I would stick to regular Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Are you seriously that stupid? Does your car make 800hp? Does it do 200mph for 500 straight miles? Do you have any remote clue on what type of stuff that does to a motor? If its good enough to keep one of those engines running for that long its good enough to make your lexus last forever.

Your right your lexus isnt a Nascar it doesnt have half the amount of technology and R&D into the engine. In short your engine is a pos compared to the motors they run.
You took that statement completely the wrong way. You are pretty much agreeing with the sarcasm of the poster

21 - 39 of 39 Posts