Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cleaned inside the intercooler and the two end pipes today then i started my car to let it idle. after it was warmed up, i revved it a couple of times and here are some other info.

boost controller was tuned off.
peak boost pressure was to 0 (idles at below 0)
peak RPM was to around 4k RPM

then i tuned the car off and still found a little oil inside the intercooler and a small puddle of oil inside the passenger side end pipe that connects all the way up to the TB

i am getting a catch can and doing a leakdown test later this week but am puzzled about this blowby situation even when car is at idle and not being driven. any thoughts?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
if you continue to worry about your car the way you do, you'll never enjoy it.

Get a catch can. That's what it's designed to do.

If you burn oil or mysteriously leak oil...then there is a compression problem.

Otherwise, just drive it. It's fine. Stop worrying.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Catch can would definitely help, but then again turbos = oil cooling system, that is ran through the turbo with oil seals to prevent oil from dumping into the intake tubes. In a way your engine was always seing oil inside the intake tubes, except you never saw it - now that it can be collected within the intercooler, it just shows.

Also even if you cleaned it up, I'm sure some oil could have been accumulated in the tubes from prior boost sessions - You turn the car on and you're just throwing the oil residues further down the pipes :p

Like Sophie said, don't worry about it and drive it!!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Brandon, get a catch can like everyone said and monitor how much blow by you get weekly. Drive your car and have someone follow you, floor it and have them check to see if your car is smoking. Check the coolant and make sure there's no oil in it. Drain your oil and make sure it's not a chocolate milk color, if your car passes all those tests then there's nothing wrong with it. Your compression is more than likely fine since you haven't been boosted long. Honestly I was a paranoid guy like you now I don't care about these little funny noises. As long as the car drives correctly and it's not leaking fluid or smoking then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
have someone drive behind you and see how much oil film you leave in their windshield

thats one way we knew danny had problems....i had half a wuart of oil all over the front end of my car

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright you four, thanks for the suggestions. brought a catch can and going to install it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts