Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
i'm not sure what you want a diagnostic/scan tool for. are you an automotive technician? a good diagnostic tool such as the genesis tool can do just about anything in my opinion if you are an automotive tech this is one of the most valuable tools you could ever purchase but also very pricey over time with all the updates and what not. there is also the snap on scanner. with both scan tools there are different cartidges for different vehicle makes. if you are going to purchase either diagnostic tool be prepared to spend upwards of 1500. now i'm not sure what you are expecting out of this tool but you may just want to purchase a dvom. which will measure voltage, amperage, and resistance. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
87 Posts
all a scan tool does is give you reading on what the pcm is seeing from the engine.and you can read diag codes and so forth.....to the ower of the car this tool is useless.. i had to do specific training on the scan tool for gm.. and they are a bit confusing..all they ar eis numbers, you need to know what those numbers mean for each part or yo will never understand what the tool is telling you

·
Registered
87 Posts
all a scan tool does is give you reading on what the pcm is seeing from the engine.and you can read diag codes and so forth.....to the owner of the car this tool is useless.. i had to do specific training on the scan tool for gm.. and they are a bit confusing..all they are is numbers, you need to know what those numbers mean for each part and how each part works or you will never understand what the tool is telling you

·
8,827 Posts
I think you can buy a serial cable and software for your laptop to do something similar.
Check out this site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.