Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when wazing your car... what do you guys use to get the wax and glaze out of the small areas like between the weather stripping ans other hard to get to areas, any tips?? or hints??

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
a rag

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Try using a slightly damp Q-tip or a credit card wrapped in a microfiber cleaning cloth (just don't break it! ;) ).

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Try an old toothbrush and save your money. Also try using less wax, and start at the middle of the panel to be waxed and work towards the edges. This way there is less wax to possibly get in the cracks or on the rubber/trim.

Reactions: goohead

·
Registered
98 Posts
Be super careful with an old tooth brush

or ANY nylon type detail brush. I've learned from experience that Lexus paint or clearcoat is VERY soft. I would first try a "q-tip" swab moistened with a "quick detailer" product.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
My tip would be not to wax it. I dont wax 1 inch to creases so no wax and stuff gets caught inside. I'd say it made no difference....color stays the same...paint stays the same..nothing gets caught inside. The big portions are the ones to worry about.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about...

applying blue painter's tape to mask around the moonroof or any other area that has black rubber? I know it takes up a little bit of time to do all the masking, but it's a trick for detailer's that works like a charm. The extra five minutes you take to mask off certain areas will pay off dividends when you're at the end of the detail and you don't have to mess around with removing unwanted wax.

Food for thought,
Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Exactly. I'll spend as much as half an hour masking the car up. Not only the rubber, but those body moldings on the doors, the door handles, the mirrors, the edges of the wheel openings, etc. etc. Really saves time, and still allows you to get all the way to the edge.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Toothpick behind a microfiber works just fine if q-tips are not available.

I usually will put the q-tip behind the microfiber also. Just a precautionary measure.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Never had that problem since I use Zaino car polish. It leaves no white residue anywhere, it is really nice. When I got my car the detailers at the dealership waxed over the side marker lights and left wax in the raised lettering on them. I removed the buildup with a toothbrush.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts