Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks back, I walked through a pretty deep hole in the late evening, and heard some really loud clashing metal noises.

Took my car today to the dealer to check if there is anything scraped or damaged (and to replace the missing body plugs at the same time)

and the results...
both rubber plugs were missing due to the some bad scraping, one of them was dented and so does my gas tank...

they quoted me that it will cost 588 to replace the gas tank (1222 with labor) and it is not under warranty.... I am just wondering if this will all be necessary since there was no leak or whatsover obvious damage to my gas tank other than the dent and some scrapes....

:cry:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Id recomend getting the job done by someone else thats reputable. They can order the needed parts and can do the job for you, vast chances are it will be far cheaper than what the nice people over at lexus will do for you. I remember they quoted me for 600.00 on a new back bumper when I got mines hit in the back, I did a quick search in the yellow pages and found someone that did the job for around 150.00 and I must say he did quite a mighty damn fine job too.

·
8,827 Posts
If it was me, I'd keep the old tank.
As long as the dent is nowhere near seals (that's where the weakest point is), it should be alright.
If not, your MPG will go down dramatically. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the dent is not really deep, just kinda wide....
its on the passenger's side which is why i am not really worried

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Let your car sit in the driveway for a few hours, then go out and throw a lit match underneath it.

If it doesn't explode... no need to replace the gas tank.

If your car does a front flip Lethal-Weapon style... maybe insurance will cover it? :eek:

Don't try this at home! :shame:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.