Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this has been raised somewhere here before, but I need some definitive answers.

My '01 head unit has been malfunctioning in terms of "eating" cd's when more than 2 are loaded and not being able to play cd's I've burned myself.

So, my stereo/CD changer was replaced under warranty today. However, the new unit still will not properly play "burned" cd's. I've tested this same CD and others in a coworker's Volvo factory changer, a Panasonic changer, and several rental car factory cd players...all of them work fine with these same discs.

What's the deal with the '01 and replacement units from Lexus? Do they not play "burned" CD's??? I don't get any error codes...it just plays with lots of skipping or it stops altogether. Please advise! Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an 03 head unit and it won't play SOME burned cd's. Basically all the cd's I put in it are burned. But it seems to play my old cd's(sony) better than my newer cd's(memorex). I burned one cd with my new media and it will skip while playing. I take the cd out load it back in and it will play ok for a bit then skip again. I think it all comes down to the media you use.

Anyone else have brands that seem to skip more or less in the IS300 factory stereo?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point. The media I have used is TDK. Bizarre how it plays a bit and then skips and then maybe doesn't even play at all. Glad I'm not alone...thought it was only an '01 issue since the newer models had slightly updated head units.

What about everyone else?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
TDK is a good media, i am not sure else to do. I would suggest verbatim, but i dont think the media is your problem.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder if the software could also play a role :-?

I've been using Roxio...maybe need to switch to Nero? The trouble is, the Roxio burns seem to be perfectly fine on any other cd changer/system. I think Lexus fumbled big time on this one since I can't listen to my own mixes (and majority of the time, I'd rather mix tracks from multiple CD's rather than listen to one all the way through). :roll:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Probably isn't the burner program. I use nero and have the same issue. Most likely it is the media. I go through CD's like water so I'll try a different brand next time and post the results. Hopefully we can keep this thread going and advise people what is the best media to use for the stock head units.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a one month old 2003 CW IS. I use a black CDR(like the Playstation I cd's) and sometimes they skip & sometimes they don't!! I use Nero!!. When one CD start to skip I just go to anther disk & then back to one that Skiped and 80% it plays fine! I have a few other CDR brands and I will try it this weekend. Another thing that may be causing the skips is the speed of the burn!! I will try to lower the burn speed and see what happends.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a plan...I look forward to seeing your results with other media. I will shop around in the meantime as well.

Thx,
Jeff

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
burn at slower speed. i had problems playing burns at 12x, but i lowered the speed to 8x or 4x, and they play fine after that... same media too

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody else test this theory? Is the lower burn speed working? I need to pick up some more CD-R's to check.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
blue_j said:
Anybody else test this theory? Is the lower burn speed working? I need to pick up some more CD-R's to check.
Yeah, a lot of the times when you burn a CD at a slower speed, they play better on CD players which have problems playing CD-Rs. I can't say I've had this problem with my IS300 changer, but on an old Nakamichi head unit I owned, this helped solve the skipping of CD-Rs. Overall though, I've found that skipping is affected by any combinations of CD burner, CD Media, and the final CD player that plays the CD-R.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So has anybody tested with different speeds and/or brands of media?

I'm hearing different things now (including "thickness" of the disc in the recent GD post).

Anyone else with ideas/info?

Thx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts