Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[In case anyone cares]

If you use a sharp knife to pry at the edges of the traction control switch it will pop out of the plastic panel.

(Once the switch is removed you can stick your finger in the hole and pull back on the 3 switch panel and the whole thing will pop out exposing the bolts that hold the stereo head unit in).

The traction control switch has 4 conductors - two are used to power the internal light when the headlights are turn on. The other two are triggered by the traction control disable switch which is a momentary normally open switch. If you change the switch to be normally closed then it will make the traction control default to "off" when the car is started (and hitting the switch will toggle it back on->off->on->off->... )

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
TEG, you're crackin' me up, man. I can only imagine your expression once you realized you were in business.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I hope you can remember Everything you have "Un-Done" on your car if it Ever has to go in for warranty work.

Lets hope that day NEVER comes for ANY of us.

Smra.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW:

On the traction control switch the inner two conductors are for the light, and the outer two are the ones that toggle the trac setting when they are shorted.

On my IS300 the other two switch locations were blank - since I don't have heated seats... *BUT* there were connectors wired in just sitting behind the panel. I guess they install the full wiring harness even for cars without power seats / heated seats.

============================================

Just enough blank switch plates for my needs:

1> Cruise missile launcher (left of coin trays - used for headlight washers in Canada)
2> Oil slick deployment (to the right of the steering column... Anyone know what that switch plate is really meant to do?)
3> Passenger seat ejector (left heated seat switch next to traction control switch)
4> Smoke screen (right heated seat switch)

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
515 Posts
TEG-

What exactly do you mean when you said "if you change the switch to normally closed" How do you change the switch to closed?

I took my switch off, but I didnt know what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Im getting tired of pushing the trac button every time i get into the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry that I wasn't more specific.

I replaced the entire switch with one of the "normally closed" variety. I bought some generic normally-closed momentary pushbutton from radio shack.

Someone really creative might be able to modify the stock switch to be normally-closed (rather than normally-open) but it would require some plastic welding or glue-gun work to reposition the electrodes inside.

·
2,909 Posts
Thanks for being more descriptive, I will also be doing the same to mine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow rig the gear selector to default Power Mode on and default TRAC off when we move the stick over from D to M? This way we wouldn't have to do three things when the decision is made to drive enthusiastically.

(But this is assuming that Power Mode does anything in M, that is.)

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Just curious, but will there be a section on is300.net that will compile all the DIY mods and stuff? It would make it easier for people to look up without having to search through the archives (if people bothered to search through them at all).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts