Lexus IS Forum banner

decision with buying car

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  JDM_SXE-10 
#1 ·
im in the market for a new MT 06 car but right now im kinda undecided on which to get. i want speed and luxury but i also want to get it for a good value/price

rsx-s is pretty fast but no luxury
tsx is good but not as fast
is250 is kinda fast but exp *base*

i got quote for tsx MT 05 fully loaded with nav for 27,xxx so bout 29otd
i dont think i will be able to get a BASE 06 is250 for that price..not sure whats better but i think the tsx is a lil better in value, offer more for the same price. since the up the up and torque on that sucker.

#2 ·
i dont think the tsx is any slower than the IS250 man... same HP... and it weighs less... get the IS250, it looks better.

#3 ·
fujimi said:
im in the market for a new MT 06 car but right now im kinda undecided on which to get. i want speed and luxury but i also want to get it for a good value/price

i dont think i will be able to get a BASE 06 is250 for that price..not sure whats better but i think the tsx is a lil better in value, offer more for the same price. since the up the up and torque on that sucker.
its RWD or Wrongwaydrive

:bigSmile:

#5 ·
fujimi said:
im not that knowledgeable on fwd vs rwd..but i heard rwd is better..but im not sure why..any1 can enlighten me? thx
Depends on what you think is "better". FWD has better traction in snow but most FWD cars are nose-heavy because all the drive train is sitting on the front wheels. This generally makes them handle poorly in spirited driving. Also, powerful FWD cars really tear up their front tires because they get both steering and power loads.

When you hit the brakes, weight transfers to the front wheels. Since FWD cars already put too much weight on the fronts, your braking suffers (this is one reason why rear-engine Porsches stop like they've run into something: the harder you brake, the better they're balanced and the more all 4 wheels can grip).

Rear-wheel drive cars can be more balanced because the transmission is in the middle and the differential is in the back. This makes them corner better and you can slide the rear out by stepping on the gas. We like that.

I love the feel of the IS compared to even a good-handling front-wheel drive car; it's just more neutral and inspires confidence. When a front-wheel drive car loses traction, the thing just plows straight ahead into the nearest curb and the driver's just along for the ride. With rear-wheel drive, you have a chance to recover with the gas and steering.

I think that despite some pretty good handling Acuras, RWD is the only way to make a decent sports car.

#8 ·
fujimi said:

IS250 is not all that fast, and neither is the TSX, RSX-S's are no joke and with bolt ons they are pretty quick, but its really up to you on what car you want. You could get an 05 IS300 5MT for a very good price starting in a couple months.

#9 ·
I tell you what...Honda knows how to make a dynamic FWD car. TSX is a great entry-level luxury sports sedan, but you have to deal with two fewer cylinders and...that's pretty much it. From what I remember, nav is the only option, and a base can be had for around 25k (as gsrthomas mentioned). It is a media darling.

I guess what it all boils down to is...TEST DRIVES!

#10 ·
TSX is a boring drive, RSX is fun, but the ride quality is shitty , even on the RSX-S .. real bumpy.

the IS will be more sedate feeling, but way more comfy.

Why are you not looking at a 5-speed WRX? those are AWD, smanual, faster than any of the above 3, and way nicer on the inside than an RSX.

#12 ·
Dr. Woo said:
I tell you what...Honda knows how to make a dynamic FWD car. TSX is a great entry-level luxury sports sedan, but you have to deal with two fewer cylinders and...that's pretty much it.
FWD cars simply cannot be labeled "sport sedans." I mean, their marketing department might advertise as that, but really...how much "sport" can you get out of a fwd, 4-banger??? :suspiciou Sure it might be luxurious and comfortable, but that's not what a sport sedan is about. Our IS isn't by any means a fast car (stock), but it's a sport sedan ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.