Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to man up, and started to play around. I know people have done the shaved sidemarkers, some paint them and some smoked/clear them.

I decided to CF them. The guide that comes with the kit says to start small, and I had spares, so I decided to cover them. It's not replacing with CF, just overlaying.

I have a set of trunk lights that I just did, pics of that soon. Next on the list is the rearview mirror (no point really, just because I can, and no one else has done it).

Once I get good, I'm going to overlay some ABS plastic that will be in the shape of a splitter that conforms to the greddy CF lip. I've already molded 2 splitters to fit perfectly on the last lip I destroyed, so it shouldn't be hard. The resin is self leveling, so hopefully, it won't be too hard.

Believe it or not, my work has inspired the CF master himself, edgy, to attempt to do other parts he's been wanting to do. Inspiring is in my screen name (of course, it is my own version, it's not in the dictionary, intentionally, because I cannot be defined, lol), and I guess I succeeded there.

anyway, here's a quick pic during the process.. If we haven't been getting hammered in snow, I'd have pictures of these installed, along with my recent Big purchase (A badass BBK). More pics will come once the weather decides to cooperate.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
i wonder if these will fit back in the bumper, what is the thickness of the uplayer? Or will you have to cut and sand that down on the sides?
D

·
Registered
599 Posts
where's endless. that carbon fiber junkie... i'm sure you are gonna be over this... well maybe..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sweet! I'd purchase those if you were ever in the interest of producing these.

+Rep!

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
looks sweet, if i had sidemarkers..

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Nice idea, good luck with everything!

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Very cool Nick. You're always coming up with something unique. + rep when I can. :approve:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
nice. Did you end up gluing your clamp closed there? I've found binder clips work well for that, since they're small and on some items you need a lot of them.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Very Nice
I thought it's the arm rest/door handle inside the door LOL =PP

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill take two sets please! im glad you made this thread here, i was just gonna post on your thread on isf
I may start start production, we'll see. It's a long process, and I already have my hands full with other stuff (read: LEDs)
Sweet! I'd purchase those if you were ever in the interest of producing these.

+Rep!
I'll keep you guys posted. I could possibly work on these in between working on LEDs, we'll see.
nice. Did you end up gluing your clamp closed there? I've found binder clips work well for that, since they're small and on some items you need a lot of them.
I think I'll go pick up a bunch of clothing hangers. The resin actually got hard and I was able to peel it off the plastic. Since the plastic is smooth, it is harder for the resin to stick. That's why I sanded the sidemarkers
< I have done full c/f overlays, molds etc..

Have any questions or tips just ask

Looks good :cool:
I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on that when I start tackling larger projects

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
added:

I just set them on top of a set that I have been working on so you can get the idea.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
^Damn that's clean! I don't see the point in them, but it's cool you're getting some practice. I see the next Edgy in the making!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
added:

I just set them on top of a set that I have been working on so you can get the idea.
what is it? i cant figrue out =__=

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you have any pics of these installed?

And though this may be a really dumb question, is there any light transfer through the overlay?

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have any pics of these installed?

And though this may be a really dumb question, is there any light transfer through the overlay?
Actually there is light transfer between the weave, but it doesn't look clean.

There really is no point in the things I'm covering, other than to cover them in CF, haha (and get practice).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts