Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished putting in my SRT Intake .. (yes Triz, I jumped the fence.. I explain later) About 9PM yesterday evening I was bout to finish up and I realized that my soldering iron was no good. I was kinda pissed but what could i do until i got a new one in the morning. Just that second my screwdriver rolled off the engine cover and fell onto the under engine plastic shield. I was like "DOHHH!" So i just plugged in my worklight and jacked up the car on jackstands. I began undoing the bolts to the plastic sheild as I turned to remove some left bolts... I noticed that the bolt that hold the bottom of the strut in place was missing its NUT??? I was like "NO WAY" so I thought maybe Im seeing things cause it's dark. so I turn to the right and notice that the bolt on the Right Strut did indeed have a nut as I expected. I was like WAIT A MINUTE. When Paisley (who crashes and totalled his black supra @ 160mph and broke 4 ribs but will be back soon) did the install, I was right there next to him in the shop and I inspected every nut and bolt to make sure everything was to my approval and no parts me mounted incorect or missing before we mounted the tires.

I couldn't figure out how the heck did that NUT become loose after I saw him tighten everything till it vould move no more? Then it dawned on me. I had just went in for my 1,000mile ( almost 2 weeks ago) service at Rallye. and had asked the service dept to check my suspension for alignemt because I just had some performance parts installed. Of course the service area was quick to say "Any problems found with the suspenison after today will not be covered under warranty due to my upgrades." So I said fine. I got my car back and went home after the service.

I truly believe in my heart that the dealership removed that nut hoping that in a few months I'd be back telling them something fell off or broke. Now that I come back for service and everything is all bent and broken... nothing is covered under warranty (due to the aftermarket parts - it was the installers fault) and NOW I have to pay $91 an hour plus parts to fix a would be faulty suspension.

Rallye frowns terribly on aftermarket upgrades. They black list you I believe. I dont know if they do this to say "I told you so". Also I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF that it was Rallye that removed that NUT that hold the strut bolt. (That assembly is under significant tension and I REALLY Doubt it "ran slack") I personally saw Paisley tigheten every bolt as i was 2 feet away from him. So you make the call.

I went over to Paisley's Shop this morning and his dad was nice enough to find a similar strut bolt and nut off of a Supra and he replaced the nut for me. (same toyota size and mm NUT). He suggest I call and report it to Consumer Affairs. He said calling the Lexus 24hr line wuld just be sweeping it under the rug. They wouldnt hang their own men.

I dont know if this is an ongoing tactic with dealership. But I am going to speak to my salesperson in private about this matter. At least let him be aware of what has occured as he was a young guy of my age and really cool also he was also pushing for my Trac ECU update as well.

To my fellow NewYorkers... be very very careful with your IS's at dealerships. If you are going to mod your car, I advise you inspect the car personally every so often to make sure things are as it should be. Dont let the dealer screw you like I think the attempted to screw me.

What do you guys think about that?
Rich

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just move to another Lexus service department. Rallye are assholez anyway. I went there and I was like WHY AM I IN HERE! Rich that sukz...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Next time you get a loaner vehicle from them, you should start loosening their bolts and see how they like it. Three eyes for an eye, I say.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I had concrete evidence, but i have nothing
Exept what I know to be true to myself. Otherwise i would have called Consumer Affairs and sued those azzholes. I will be going to Tical's dealership in Hartford CT soon.

Just keep this stuff in mind when they b'itch at you for your mods. they may see some fast $$$ from unsuspecting customers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
BigDaddyRich, I think the technican who worked on your car that day did a terrible alignment job! I think he/she just forgot about the strut bolt after checking/setting the alignment! Correct me if I am wrong about this, in order to align this car (to correct the camber or caster setting), the technican has to remove/loosen the strut bolts on both sides. Remember, the techs at the dealership work by FLAT rate not by the hour, therefore lot of times they just work as fast as possible so they can work on the next job. In other words, they want to beat the clock! I don't think the dealership would have taken the bolt out on purpose just to have you go back there complaining. I think this is a CARELESS mistake. If my dealership gives me any attitude just because I have some aftermarket parts installed, then I just I have to go somewhere else instead.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I have to agree with a few of the guys saying that the people over at rallye are a bit shady to say the least...I went there to get some of the problems solved with all the noises and they completely blew me off like I was making them up or something!! They pretty much did the same thing in Lexus of Manhattan, but the one in Englewood (although they haven't fixed the problems yet) treated me alot better and actually listened and found the root of the problems.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That sucks:

I am going to be taking in my ride to the 10k checkup but this time it will have the TRD sways installed. An installation that I did myself and at home. I have put in a work note on the service order to please check out the sways and add any lubrication to the bushings if needed. My dealer so far has been pretty cool about mods. They sell modded IS300 of the dealer floor so I don't think that my ride will be questioned especially with TRD parts installed but then again this is the dealer we are talking about so anything can happen.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Damn the Dealer
Hehehehehe

Down with all dealers, start the revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: AECIS300 ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts