Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, like many others, my damn CD player shit the bed on me. it won't play or eject CDs, and it says there's only 4 CDs in the changer while there are really 6 of them.

So i call today to make an appointment to have it swapped out and the guy says that first I need to come down there so they can VERIFY that its broken, then they will order a new one.

I said, so you're telling me that I'm too dumb to tell my CD player is broken?? He says no, we just don't want to unnecessarily order a CD player if we don't have to.

I said listen, it won't eject or play, its broken, order me a new one. He says, well you ahve to come in on M-F between 8-5. I said, ya know, I have a friggin job which doesn't allow me to do that.

so i had him connect me to his manager, who hasn't called back yet. This is such bullshit. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I once had a bad radio in a car. So I went to the dealer and he wanted to take it out and send it off. I didn't trust that I would get it back anytime soon. So I took the car to the local radio shop and the guy fixed it in about 10 minutes. I took the bill for the repair down to the dealership with the bad parts and just laid them on the parts desk and told them to pay the bill, and walked out.

·
3,221 Posts
isthrizzy said:
so, like many others, my damn CD player sh*t the bed on me. it won't play or eject CDs, and it says there's only 4 CDs in the changer while there are really 6 of them.

So i call today to make an appointment to have it swapped out and the guy says that first I need to come down there so they can VERIFY that its broken, then they will order a new one.

I said, so you're telling me that I'm too dumb to tell my CD player is broken?? He says no, we just don't want to unnecessarily order a CD player if we don't have to.

I said listen, it won't eject or play, its broken, order me a new one. He says, well you ahve to come in on M-F between 8-5. I said, ya know, I have a friggin job which doesn't allow me to do that.

so i had him connect me to his manager, who hasn't called back yet. This is such bullshit. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
I told the dealer it was broken. They asked me to come in. I did, they saw it and ordered me a new one. Called me when it arrived and schedule an appointment. Gave me a rental car and fixed it the same day.

I don't understand why you need to be pissed off. They're doing their jobs.

·
8,880 Posts
HERE IS THE POST ON HOW TO DIY THE CD FIX
Read my instructions on how to fix the CD player yourself. That will save you some headache. Keep in mind, when the dealer changes the unit, some end up scratching the dash. The trick is to use masking tape.

BTW, don't be an a-hole and you won't be treated as such. If you want to go the dealer route, calmly ask them to pick your car up and leave a loaner at the place you work at so they can verify the player not working. If they are not aware of such procedure, maybe 1-800-25LEXUS is.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The dealer is following SOP. I am going through the same process as well and there is nothing wrong with that. You can't go to work late one day? Come in late, leave late? I know some dealerships can come pick the car up from work.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,
I think you guys are missing the whole point. The CD player is broken, there is not a question as to whether or not it works. plain and simple.

so why should I be inconvenienced to drive 25 mins to the dealer, for him to look at it and go, oh, it really doesn't work. you were right. Only to turn around have to do it all again in a few days when the part comes in.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
No we're not. You are just not agreeing with the procedure that the dealership has to follow for warranty issues. The dealer has to inspect the unit themselves. Like I said, they are following Standard Operating Procedures in troubleshooting the problem. Even though it is truly broken and you can determine that, they still have to follow the procedure to get the item fixed under warranty. Simple as that.

Doesn't seem like the SOP is up to your standards. Why not call another dealer that suites your needs?

-crontab -e

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Because, let's say they order the part in, you bring your car in they look at the cd player. The tech says hmmm somethings jammed in there, unjam it which took less than 15 min. Now they're stuck with a part they didn't have to keep in stock (that most people would not buy anyways cuz it's cheaper to get aftermarket).

Not saying that you don't know, but think a little bit, how many people are out there that don't know sh!t about cars. Would you trust someone who doesn't know about the car to just call and up and say hey it's this part that is broken just order the part and i'll come down to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, my buddy is a benz tech, and he said that since the CD changer is not a Lexus part, they aren't gonna try to take it apart to get the anything that could potentially be jammed in there out of it. So their procedure for something like this is to swap out the unit for a new one.....which blows for me because i have the carbon fiber dash trim.....so i guess I'd have to order a new one of those.

I am first gonna try to get it apart and see if its jammed, if not then I'll have to bring it by the dealer. I just think its asinine that they are gonna make me go there twice for something that is very apparently broken.

·
3,221 Posts
isthrizzy said:
well, my buddy is a benz tech, and he said that since the CD changer is not a Lexus part, they aren't gonna try to take it apart to get the anything that could potentially be jammed in there out of it. So their procedure for something like this is to swap out the unit for a new one.....which blows for me because i have the carbon fiber dash trim.....so i guess I'd have to order a new one of those.

I am first gonna try to get it apart and see if its jammed, if not then I'll have to bring it by the dealer. I just think its asinine that they are gonna make me go there twice for something that is very apparently broken.
It will be even funnier if they see you fucked with it and won't waranty it after you're stubborness to to what they asked.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You make a good point, but perhaps it is just a stuck disk, and after reading the instructions on how to remove/fix the radio, it seems like you can do it without leaving any evidence that its been tampered with. If I pull it out and determine that is not the case, then I'll just have to give up and go to the dealer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the whole front cover of the cd player comes off the part that is stuck to your carbon fiber to have him swap the outer plastic pieces there too little tabs you can complety remove that

Joe;-)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if this is true for Lexus, but my friend that is a Benz tech told me that they normally wouldn't even touch the disc changer, even just to take off the face. he said they'd have to send it back to the OEM just the way it was removed from the car for the warranty. that would suck, but we'll see.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine just bit the big one to :bitching:

I called the dealer and initially got the same answer. I said that I have 'ERROR 3' and the TSB, so, please see if you have one in stock. He check and they don't have one in stock. So, he ordered one with my name on it and will call when it comes in. :D

I hope the new ones are better build after the TSB from Lexus.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
isthrizzy said:
OK,
I think you guys are missing the whole point. The CD player is broken, there is not a question as to whether or not it works. plain and simple.

so why should I be inconvenienced to drive 25 mins to the dealer, for him to look at it and go, oh, it really doesn't work. you were right. Only to turn around have to do it all again in a few days when the part comes in.
Just call them back and tell them how really special you think you are, and the will come to your house and fix it ASAP!
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts