Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to my dealer today and he said there was a silver IS300 coming in that has a wheel lock and trunk mat option. What is that? Is this something from the factory or something the dealer is adding to pad his profit?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Those are both dealer installed options.

There is no way to order those items on the car from the factory.

And yes - you dealer probably makes some extra $ by putting those on the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In no way want to discredit you're reply TEG, however..Lexus automobiles come from the factory with wheel locks and trunk mats...they are NOT dealer installed items. They are called "options", but ironically will be on almost %100 of production. So really, they are not really "options". You just kind of get em. The dealers are seling them the way they are being built, so I don't think it's a situation of dealers making $$$$ on mats and locks...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well, lets wait and see... I have seen the "build sheets" and they did not contain the option codes for trunk mat and wheel locks.

One dealer said that he was getting a car with options:
CODE WL= wheel locks
CODE LM= trunk mat
I asked why I didn't see those codes on the build sheets and he said that they were "dealer installed".

I know that I have gotten some mis-information from dealers, but as far as I know wheel locks and trunk mats ARE dealer installed options for the IS300.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
And dealers make money off of anything that increases the list price of the car... Factory options OR dealer options.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To clear up the confusion TEG, there is another category of options which are port installed. The average sedan in the Lexus will have items like trunk mat and wheel locks which usually account for about $110 in the sticker price total. Dealer installed items go on a separate addendum sticker that is usually placed next to the Manufacturer's "Monroney" Label. There is some dealer profit on all options but these items discussed are not significant amounts. Toyota dealers were famous for adding fluff to their cars like protective packages, appearance packages, and aftermarket warranties. Lexus dealers will add gold emblems(gold package) pinstripes, vogue wheels, and in some cases Navigation systems, DVD players, Telephones. These will appear on an addendum sticker separately.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thanks Bernie - that explains why I didn't see those options on the factory build sheets.

Do the dealers request that those options (wheels locks, trunk mats, etc.) be added at the port or does Lexus do that automatically to certain cars on their own?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I wrote:
>> Those are both dealer installed options.

ISBlain wrote:
>> Lexus automobiles come from the
>> factory with wheel locks and trunk mats..

We were both wrong!

I assumed that they were done by the dealer since I didn't see those codes on the factory build sheets.

ISBlain must have assumed that they came from the factory because the cars arrive at the dealer with those options already installed.

We didn't realize that the cars are modified at the port of arrival!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The port installed options are:

(GP) Gold Emblems 417 298
(LM) Trunk Mat 66 40
(WL) Wheel Locks 39 27
(GN) Cargo Net 38 27

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your market area can have different port installed options as you can see above. In the East Gold pkgs.are dealer installed. On occasion the port facility will run out of say cargo mats and we will get a load missing them and have to order them through Parts. Some people consider the Port as part of the factory and some such as the Mercedes port facility could repaint a car completely or do mechanical mods or repairs if necessary which can blur the line between factory made and after market. The sticker is your legal guideline on manufacturer installed equipment even though it might be in the port that some items are added.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bernie actually hit it right on the head...

I'm used to looking at "build books" that tell you the production percentages, and after awhile, it all looks the same.Besides, when I'm told that they are all coming with certain things on them, It doesn't matter where it is done..it's all factory till it hits the lot!( invoiced to the dealer)

Bottom line: Lexus will build the IS300 in certain ways....in other words, even though it may say that the actual factory is building them with such and such...when they pass through port, they have P.I.O installed options installed on them. ( port installed options.) The factory decides how they come equipped, the port slaps it on, and they arrive at the dealer as such. The car's will all have that stuff on unless you special order it. ( or have the dealer remove them at delivery..not likely) The dealers sell it to you the way they get it.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
They are special bolts on the wheels that have to be removed with an adapter that is found with the Jack/spare.....If you have the adapter, which you can get at any Lexus/toyota dealership, you can steal the wheels.... Not as useful as the other wheel locks I've seen...
Eric....

·
Registered
978 Posts
So they're just a way to deter thieves from stealing your wheels? Since the Lexus wheel lock doesn't seem that foolproof, are there aftermarket ones that work better?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yes, there are aftermarket ones that have a unique "key" pattern. There is a special socket adapter which has a wavy metal pattern that must fit into a similarly shaped indentation in the special matching lugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which is exactly what the Lexus one's are. Actually the Lexus ones are made by the same company that makes most of the aftermarket locks. Toyota and Lexus dealers have a special set of universal keys to use on customer's vehicles that have lost their key, but the universal keys are not available retail. If you don't have the key, you had better have alot of time on your hands, and a good chisel.

In the Central United States all of the IS300s will come with a truck mat and wheel locks. Those are Port Installed Options installed by the manufacturer's port facility.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't buy the wheel locks. They are a waste of money. All you need are a pair of those pointy pliers, stick them into the lock pattern, and bingo, you can screw the locks right off. You now have the universal key.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I would think it would be quite difficult to unscrew a wheel lock (basically a lug) with just a pair of needlenose pliers...

Whoo hoo for air ratchets...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure who made the wheel lock for the US IS300. However, for Canada, Lexus uses McGuard wheel lock which is the best one you can get. The best brand name I've ever known.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Lexus wheels require special nuts and wheel lock to be fit to the holes of the wheels and hence this are not the normal McGuard wheel lock but are customoized made for Leuxs.

So as long as you put the original Lexus wheels, you need these special nuts and wheel lock.

AndyL
AndyL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Based upon the earlier posts, one can review the "Factory Window Sticker" at http://www.is300.net/images/teg-sticker.jpg regarding "Standard Equipment & Installed Options" and conclude the following:

* (One-Asterisk) = "Standard Equipment"

** (Double-Asterisk) = "Factory Installed Option"

** ** (Double-Double Asterisk) = "Port Installed Option"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts