Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Lex at a BMW dealership, and i was deciding if it's better to wash the car myself, or get a quick rinse at the dealership? Im afraid they might scratch my ride even more, for i really dont need anymore scratches/swirls on my black IS :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
You need to first clay bar your car, then use a paint cleanser then polish then wax. That will eliminate the swirls and some scratches. then take it to dealer for rinses/washes

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true..but i think i still have a great coat of wax on my car. I just need a carwash, but im feeling really lazy today.

on another note, whats the best thing to use to dry the car? Also, how do u dry the car; never wipe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I first bought my car the dealer scratched the heck out if it when they washed it. They owned up to it and had it buffed, but the swirl marks are now almost as bad as the original scratches. I am sure it was a rare occurance, but it did scare me for a while about letting them wash my car. Although, now after three years and plenty of nicks I say wash away.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The one and only time I let the dealer wash my car the swirls began, I was parked under a light one night and I could see swirls like crazy. I had been washing it myself before that and never noticed swirls until after I took it to them. I let them vacuum all they want though.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Brandon714 said:
wash & wax yourself... No quick rinse <----we don't drive Hondas :p
By making such wise comments you make yourself look like real tard.
Nothing wrong with quick wash, I'm assuming hand wash, no automatic carwash. Plus you don't need to wax your car after every wash, pointless. You might want to hit it with Instant Detailer and dry it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just wash it yourself. I have too many scratches on my car from taking it to the dealer. I noticed that the kid drying my car had a ring on his finger and he kept smacking it up against my paint! After i saw that, i am definately washing and drying my car myself!

·
Registered
522 Posts
letting those lot lizards wash your car with the pressure hose and wiping down with dirty chamious (sp?) is just asking for swirls. if you want it done right, wash it yourself.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I just took mine into the dealership today for my 1600km service. The outside was pretty dirty due to all the rain. I get the car back, they washed it. It looked like shit. Looks like someone just dumped a bucked of soapy water all over and then let it dry. There were marks from the cloth all over the place and left over residue. It will definitly be the last time i let them touch the exterior with anthing.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ive only been to the dealer once since i bought my car and i told them i dont want it washed. He even said "i dont blame u".

·
Registered
403 Posts
jumpm4n said:
on another note, whats the best thing to use to dry the car? Also, how do u dry the car; never wipe?
I recomend drying the car with a large quality waffle weave microfiber towel.

For your final rinse, run a stream of water straight from the hose (no spray nozzle) and sheet the car from top to bottom, following the water off the car. You will notice that the water will run right off each panel, leaving only a few small drops of water. If you washed it right, the drops should be no larger than a quarter.

Blot, don't wipe, with the WW towel. It should take about fifteen minutes to dry the car using this method and the beauty of it is that you probably won't have to wring out the towel while blotting the car dry.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I never let anyone wash my car but myself. When i go to the dealer I tell them specifically not to wash the car, and they usually write NO WASH on the RO. Having someone else wash your car is just asking for swirls and scratches because 9 times out of 10 the person does not care about your car at all they are just doing their job as easily as possible for them.

On another note, an electric leaf blower works excelent for drying your car. I use it almost every time and it speeds up the drying by a lot. I usually use the blower to blow the water off the large panels and then use it to dry the hard to reach places like the front grilles, side mirrors, and wheels. Once I finish with that, I go over and use an absorber to get any water that I missed and also do dry the door jambs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts