Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I saw that alot of ppl here have used ddm tunings raptor hid kit. This is a question for those who have installed this kit. I got the 35w h11 6k kit and im goin to install it on my car. but i noticed that the kit didn't come with any mounts. so how did you guys/gals mount the kit securely? with zipties? is that enough, coz im afraid they might "fall" off from the zipties over time :confused:

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks as lot 250Frosty_IS, i appreciate your help :)
i installed them myself today, took me a while to do it. also one of the headlights didn't work so i flipped the power/ground to the headlights (since i knew it was a common issue).
anyway everything worked out great. i was kinda scared to mess things up in the car but car doesn't seem to be complaining for now so i hope im good for now :cool:

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Since they are slim kits, can't they install in the oem spot for the ballast?

·
Registered
212 Posts
thanks as lot 250Frosty_IS, i appreciate your help :)
i installed them myself today, took me a while to do it. also one of the headlights didn't work so i flipped the power/ground to the headlights (since i knew it was a common issue).
anyway everything worked out great. i was kinda scared to mess things up in the car but car doesn't seem to be complaining for now so i hope im good for now :cool:
No problem bro. Just helping a fellow IS Driver out :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since they are slim kits, can't they install in the oem spot for the ballast?
nope, i didn't get the slim one, i got the regular ones since i read in many forums that the regular raptor v2 ballasts seem to be more reliable then the slim ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem bro. Just helping a fellow IS Driver out :)
Thanks alot appreciate it :)

now i have another question, the 6k bulbs seems alot more blue then i expected. they look more like 8k to me (i dont know if they screwed up my order or if 6k usually looks like that). but either way, i have another question. will my current ballasts work with 5k bulbs? or do i need to get new ballasts designed for 5k bulbs?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
5000k bulbs should plug right in

·
Registered
12 Posts
they shouldnt look blue-ish. =/ they should be crystal white. they need to warm up for 15-30 seconds and then they turn their true color. I dont know i have 5000k but ive looked at the 6000k set and it didnt see to be much more blue-ish

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine is white with a tint hint of blue. I mean those kits are pretty cheap right now. The chances of them screwing up orders are likely. You can always call them up to exchange for another set if you are not satisfied with your current set. I think 5000K would look the best. I regret getting 6000K. :\

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is white with a tint hint of blue. I mean those kits are pretty cheap right now. The chances of them screwing up orders are likely. You can always call them up to exchange for another set if you are not satisfied with your current set. I think 5000K would look the best. I regret getting 6000K. :
lol same here i wish i had got 5000k too. i just sent a request to DDM to see what their exchange procedure is like and how much it would cost, will post the procedure/cost on this forum as soon as i hear back from them =/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they shouldnt look blue-ish. =/ they should be crystal white. they need to warm up for 15-30 seconds and then they turn their true color. I dont know i have 5000k but ive looked at the 6000k set and it didnt see to be much more blue-ish
yes, even after waiting they look pretty blue to me, also i have seen other cars with less blue and more light then mine. my light seems darker hence my fear that i might have got a 8000k bulb =/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Apologies for bringing back an ancient topic but why is the 5k preferred over the 6k? I am looking to upgrade my SportX fogs to HID and am on the verge on buying them.

I intend to keep them yellow and would strongly prefer to avoid a greenish hue. In essence I want to keep my fogs nice and yellow but stronger at the same time. Will 6k be the right choice?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Apologies for bringing back an ancient topic but why is the 5k preferred over the 6k? I am looking to upgrade my SportX fogs to HID and am on the verge on buying them.

I intend to keep them yellow and would strongly prefer to avoid a greenish hue. In essence I want to keep my fogs nice and yellow but stronger at the same time. Will 6k be the right choice?
Well at 6000k the bulbs start to turn more bluish and at 8000k they start to look purple. 5000k is more close to white, with 4300k being the "whitest" white. With a bluish bulb projecting light across the amber lense, it will make the output light green. That's why you want to stay on the white end of the spectrum if you're using yellow fogs and want to project a strong yellow beam. Stay with 4300 or 5000k.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well at 6000k the bulbs start to turn more bluish and at 8000k they start to look purple. 5000k is more close to white, with 4300k being the "whitest" white. With a bluish bulb projecting light across the amber lense, it will make the output light green. That's why you want to stay on the white end of the spectrum if you're using yellow fogs and want to project a strong yellow.
Thanks! Every thing you said just reconfirmed all the other information I found between now and when I posted earlier. Thanks again! :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts