Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wandering if anyone had changed their Daytime running lights. They come stock as the dull yellow color and i was wanting blue or something....

I have heard they are supposedly illegal cuz they look like cop lights? dont know how but thats what i hear...

I saw one guy did it but he didnt have his powered..they were just for the reflection. Has anyone changed these out because I want to buy some and I am not sure what kind of lights to buy....Just get back to me thanks

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Those are also your high beam headlights, so be careful what you put in there. They look really yellow because they are running on low power. Try searching on "DRL".

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
i have the mtec golden yellow.. its a pretty nice yellow, not too dark yellow like the fogs. but not tan like stock bulbs.
also, their is a piaa yellow bulb for DRLs and a polarg yellow bulb for DRLs as well. those ones are darker, almost like the stock fog yellow.

just so you know

i have the mtec yellows as my drls and ultra whites as my fogs (w/ jdm fogs). so basically, i have the opposite of everyone else that has ultra white drls and yellow fogs.. hehe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got ya....sounds pretty cool...

I know there is a Joe Z thing explaining how do make it full power...i was wandering if anyone else can explain it different. I am a newby and did not get everything he said...like which two holes does the wires go in??

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
IS300Sam said:
got ya....sounds pretty cool...

I know there is a Joe Z thing explaining how do make it full power...i was wandering if anyone else can explain it different. I am a newby and did not get everything he said...like which two holes does the wires go in??
There are only two slots in that plug. You are just putting a jumper wire between them to make a circuit. You can't miss on that one. Of course you have to pull it out and look at it to see that.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and than will the plug fit right back in?? yeah i saw those two holes...u know what gauge wire u use or anything??

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
If you use a short enough wire you can fold it down and stick the plug back in the housing enough to hide the wire. Then wrap some electrical tape to hold the plugs together. 12 guage wire size should be ok.

Personally I'd put spade lugs on the wire so they would slip into the plug easily. I think that would be a better finished result.

If you want to just try it and see how they look, just stick a wire in the plug and take a look at the lights.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that aint gonna shock me is it? :crazy:

so i take it the plugs wont stay together with the wire in them so thats what the electrical tape does...holds them together? has anyone burnt anything out with this....seems safe for them jw...let me know

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
If you can make the wire loop small enough maybe the plugs will stay together. Look at the locking lug on the socket and plug. The wire keeps the plug from going in far enough to lock. You really need to get in there and do a little experimentation and see what you can work out. Personally I didn't like the settup, and went back to the stock arrangement.

There's posts out there in some of the DRL threads by people who have had the mod for different lengths of time. There's really no reason it should cause any problems. It's just bypassing the little black box that reduces the power to the lights in DRL mode.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright....i ordered some 9005 lights so when those come in ill go check it all out. the only reason id want to do it is that peeps in other threads say that its the same color if you dont do the high power mod...but thanks for the help...its been great info!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright....i ordered some 9005 lights so when those come in ill go check it all out. the only reason id want to do it is that peeps in other threads say that its the same color if you dont do the high power mod...but thanks for the help...its been great info!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
What type of lights did you order?

I put some Sylvania 4001K in min, but I haven't tried them on full power DRL. They work great on hi beams though.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i forgot what they were even called.. :roll: ..they were on the cheap side. i was going to get the piaa but they were priced pretty high...i am gonig to see how these work and if they are fine than ill leave them but if they dont do the job ill switch to PIAA probably....ill post pics when they get in...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
DRL problem solved. :D

Just bought a pair of PIAA Plasma Spark Blue 7500kelvin replacement bulbs and it makes a huge difference (not to mention looks really cool with the silver coating). Didn't need the Hi-power mod. Comparing side by side with my previous PIAA Extreme White 4000k bulbs (which didn't do anything), these are amazing. Bought them for ~$80 in Japan. They also have Plasma Spark 8000k, GT-X, etc. but there would be no way for me to compare them all.

Good luck!

BTW anyone interested in a pair of PIAA Extreme White 9005 bulbs??

·
Registered
628 Posts
would it missup our socket if you put a 7500k bulb in our daytime lights since it is always on during the day...pls can anybody verify this for me.Thankzz

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
as long as it's 12V 55W (which it is, of course it claims to put out 100W like all other bulbs), I don't think how many kelvins is an issue, just like those of you putting in 6000k HID bulbs

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
don't know where to buy here, bought them in Japan last week :-?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts