Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 4720 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So should I be changing the timing belt before the 90K mile mark?
I'm currently at 66K... I thought I could wait at least 2 more years for that?:suspiciou
do it now while its apart. might want to think about exhaust cam gear as well.

i did mine at 60k when i turboed mine. def money well spent. just dont buy your shit from lexus they will rape you cross reference the part numbers to toyota youll save some money

-Brett

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
OMG i cant stop laughing. :lol:
:lol: same here. I keep flipping back to that post to watch it. haha

You getting some snow over in cincy? You might have to bust out the skid-steer and plow the car lot like last winter :lol:

·
Twisties Addict
13,069 Posts
So heres my On my way to work SNOW storm rant stories.

So i hop in my 97 Chrysler Town&country 3.6L drag car and get on my way. Shortly after i pull out of my neighborhood i see a Toyota Matrix 00+ off the side of the road blowed into the side of a tree. A rather large sized black woman is sitting in the passenger seat with the door wide open and her head in hands(sobbing) Quote to myself(foking retard). As im passing a couple black guys driving a surburban pass her. They stop in the middle of the road and throw it in reverse to help.

That road is a 4 lane road 35mph simple road with hardly any curves. (foking retard)

I come to the end of that road. I get up behind a CrownVic with two extremely old men driving this car at literally 4 mph. I need to turn right so i have to stay behind him. He stops for what seems to be eternity. Then slowly makes his right hander as if he isnt even hitting the gas. (Quote of myself "You foking geezer get the dayum hell off the foking road")
So he continues and thank god he goes to turn left.

So i continue driving down the hill at 40mph. Im in a minivan what could happen. I come up to street crossings so i slow to about 30-35. Mind you the streets are pretty much covered. Anyway im come upt o a street light. ITS green! Im not slowing down. So here comes this little red cavalier down the street. Theres a guy with a neon orange jacket on the corner of the street that begins to just wave this car on to pull right out in front of me. She just rolled through the stop light on her right hander turn. So i had to somewhat abruptly hit my brakes but the whole time im giving this orange jacket a dirty ass look Like WTF are you thinking.
I proceed to wave my arms at him moving my mouth in the WTF motion. He proceeds to shake his fist and screaming at me. Then waves his arms in the "SLOW DOWN" Motion. Im thinking who the fok is this guy.

Anyways im late for work so i proceed but get stopped at the red light right up ahead. The orange jacket guy apparently isnt finished yet. He walked out in the middle of the road behind my car and began to write down my license plate. (im thinking this guy is foking tard)

I pull off not worried at all.

For one thing im in myt dealer car with a dealer plate. Alls i have to say is someone was test driving the car. And also i wasnt breaking any laws. I was going 5mph below the legal speed and my light was green.

So i called my wife who was being let off early from work to tell her about the story and also to tell her to Run the orange jacket guy over on her way back to the house.

Im sitting at a major intersection waiting on my green light. The opposing side street is 45mph zone. My light turns green, i hesitated because i saw a sliver van speeding down the road. Sure enough he didnt even hit his brakes. Just went blowing through the intersection. It was some old man 50+ on his cell phone. If i werent paying attention im sure he would have just T-boned the crap out of me.

I saw all this with only 1-2 inches of snowfall on 10 minute commute.

The world is breeding idiots. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
14 inches in cbus. all the cars are snowed in god damn. i am starting the mods for spring and summer. do you guys think i should do angel eyes or front lip first?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a timing belt, brand new... Never used. I will sell it to ya for $20.

LMK if ya want it.
I would've bought it but I quickly surfed the web for parts on fri and ordered a new timing belt and tensioner off of pitstop auto parts, or something like that

I was in a hurry since I wasnt home this weekend... hopefully I ordered the right stuff:jawDrop:

Heres what it said on the site:
2001 - 2005
Lexus IS300 OE Service Timing Belt Timing Belt Price: $35.95 Qty: 1 Part #: W0133-1620858

Should be right... I hope

·
Registered
502 Posts
Service intervals don't matter!!

You're going to be in there doing the headgasket, which means pulling the timing belt off. You might as well put a new timing belt and tensioner on.

Also, when you let a tensioner fully extend, like it will when you remove the timing belt, you can usually recompress it, but whether you ruin the internal seals in the tensioner during recompression is a different story....and you won't know until you put a valve into a piston.

When you start modding a car, you need to start doing preventative maintenance, not reactive maintenance.

As said above.....$100-$150 in a timing belt/tensioner is a lot better than thousands of dollars in a motor rebuild. The 2JZ is an interference motor...if the timing belt or tensioner fails, it WILL put the valves into the pistons.

Ya, so I'm doing the timing belt and tensioner for sure, its on the way

Anything else thats recommended doing while its apart? thinking about possibly doing the water pump too... Idler pulley?
I'll change anything now rather than rip it apart later

·
Registered
712 Posts
So whats good fellaz???!!!!! Help fill in the blanks, when is the next group meeting? Looks like detroit was spared but to all my Ohioans buried in the deep s%^&, I hope u have snow tires, lol!!!

Good to be back :)

I still have pix of our first meet, good times!!!

81 - 100 of 4720 Posts