Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4720 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Damn we killed a thread hehe :) Anyway .... prognosis is good for my Dad. He'll prolly be coming home Saturday and he will get more stints in his arteries in a few weeks. No werd on how much damage was done to the heart yet.
Good to hear Mark... Our prayers are with you and your father.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i would depending on time frame and how much

-Brett
I was hoping someone would really really want to so it for free:)

But I'm starting on it tomorrow after work and hoping to be done saturday sometime:cool:

Should be changing the timing belt to... but im not going to

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What would you reather buy?

A Belt and a tensioner for $100

Or

A new motor after you shred the belt and trash all of the valves when the pistons crush them.

You decide.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thankx for all the support guys .. it really means a lot

·
Registered
502 Posts
What would you reather buy?

A Belt and a tensioner for $100

Or

A new motor after you shred the belt and trash all of the valves when the pistons crush them.

You decide.
hmmm.... ya might do the belt and tensioner then

on DIY scale 1-10, 10 is hardest... what it be?

I've got the repair manuals to aid me

·
Registered
502 Posts
So should I be changing the timing belt before the 90K mile mark?
I'm currently at 66K... I thought I could wait at least 2 more years for that?:suspiciou

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Service intervals don't matter!!

You're going to be in there doing the headgasket, which means pulling the timing belt off. You might as well put a new timing belt and tensioner on.

Also, when you let a tensioner fully extend, like it will when you remove the timing belt, you can usually recompress it, but whether you ruin the internal seals in the tensioner during recompression is a different story....and you won't know until you put a valve into a piston.

When you start modding a car, you need to start doing preventative maintenance, not reactive maintenance.

As said above.....$100-$150 in a timing belt/tensioner is a lot better than thousands of dollars in a motor rebuild. The 2JZ is an interference motor...if the timing belt or tensioner fails, it WILL put the valves into the pistons.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
On the DIY toughness scale.......

If you think bolting on an exhaust is tedious and difficult, you don't want to do this.

If you don't have a retarded amount of tools, you don't want to do this.

If you're afraid to kick the starter which a wrench and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, you don't want to do this.

If changing the oil is the extent of "getting your hands dirty", you don't want to do this.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
i hate chnging the oil.......

get all oily, make a mess under the hood because you have to pull the filter out by the master cylinder... stupid...

41 - 60 of 4720 Posts