Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with datacom Mobilus retrieval system? My insurance wants me to install it and will offer me a premium reduction.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
LOL they think you are a bad driver and it will make you remember that big brother is watching you so you WILL drive safer.
Its like driving with a mother in law in the back seat all the time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Errrr... let me try this again.

Datacom Mobilus is GPS tracking and theft retrieval system. It informs you if the vehicle is moving without the transponder inside, and will try to tack it down. My question is, has anyone used this product, and how does it compare to other systems like Boomerang?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
To be honest... I've never even heard of this before. After a quick glance at the website... it looks like they are a Canadian version of Boomerang. Keep in mind that with many of these services... not only do you need to pay big $$$ to install it... but then there's a subscription fee for service after that. And don't get it installed at a Lexus dealer... their costs are waaaaaaaay more than independent people. All they are going to do is pay some other guy to install it for them.

Something to think about tho is... if somebody steals your car... would you really want it back? I remember reading on the forums about some guy who had his car stolen... somebody took it for a joyride. When they found the car... they realized it was used as some people's personal bathroom. :blush:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly my insurance company requires some kind of stupid tracking device. I'll see if I can find something that doesn't require added switches or transponders.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
What kind of insurance company REQUIRES tracking? Who are you with? Maybe you should look at another company?

Once you consider the cost of of the tracking device... is this insurance company still cheap?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
have you had cars stolen from you before?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never had any theft. My company has a special deal for our employment group and I'm getting quotes that are 300-400$ cheaper than other companies. However the cost of installing any of these anti-theft systems is 400$ plus a stupid annual fee.

Plus I really don't like the idea of some semi-competent kid hacking the electronics of my car.

This seens to be a common practice around these parts.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
mr raider freedom is priceless don't do it

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here's an interesting update. I switched companies to Belair Direct, and although their premium was 170$ more annually, they accept anti-theft engraving of parts as a n acceptable substitute. Even with early termination penalty penalty, I will still come out ahead over three years, since I'm not saddled with a 200$ annual tracking fee.

Another interesting tidbit, my now former insurance company (Personal) is a subsidiary of Desjardins who are a major investor in the Datacom company that makes these anti-theft products.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I knew something was fishy when I saw Datacom Mobilus was a Quebec based company. That's pretty bad... an insurance company mandating you use a product they invest in. :pissed:

What's with Quebec and their mandated rules anyways? So many things are being DICTATED to you guys. I bet tire guys are gonna make a fortune with the new mandatory winter tire law.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't even get started on tires. It will be hell this fall finding tires as there will be a mad rush to get them. I think I'll buy my set this spring and keep it in storage. Tire rack has some decent deals, TPMS included.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts