Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 IS300 which I have owned since day one. My car is a CPO since I had it certified when I bought out my lease about 3 years ago. I still have about six months left on the warranty. It has 85K and has had very minimal problems all of which have been fixed by the dealership. I actually have been very happy with my dealership and plan on buying another Lexus their in the next 6 months or so.

About a month ago I was cleaning the inside of my car and noticed the dash was stick, specifically the glove box. Then as I continued cleaning I noticed a couple of scratches on certain portions of my dash. I touched the airbag and it marked with my finger. In an insconspicous area right down on the drivers side by my radio on the dash I touched with my finger nail and the dash just kind of peeled off in my fingers - kind of like dried up elmers glue. I have kept my car in pretty good shape and these scratches/mushy dash abd f*cked up air bag were really pissing me off. I honestly was in shock that a Lexus product would do this. My wife's previous car was a Lexus RX 300 and we got 105K out if it and it looked great when we got rid of it - inside and out.

The first thing I did was go on this forum and I found several threads on this issue. I also found another Lexus site with message boards and they had similar threads. There does seem to be a common point in a lot of the cars are from Florida. I have found some people who have had Lexus replace the air bag.

Anyway to make a long story short I took my car in the other day to have some warranty work done, the timing belt and also address this issue with the stickyness and scratching. Lexus calls me back and says that this issue is not covered by the CPO warranty, but they will try to see if Lexus National will fix it. They said they would get back with me. When I went to pick up my car they said they had not heard from Lexus National yet.

Now here is the kicker. When I go to get in my car I notice my dash is beat to shit. The airbag cover is all marked up with imprinted finger prints and the dash is really scratched up. I had them come out and look at it. I told them it sure didn't look like this when I brought it in. My advisor goes and gets the service manager and I show him. First he tells me that they had to touch the air bag cover to see what I was talking about. Then he proceeds to ask if Armor All was ever used on the dash. I said probably yes at some point, what does it matter. That is when he blamed the whole thing on using Armor All. He told me that Armor All is not supposed to go on dashes. Wow, you could have fooled me, but last time I checked I am pretty sure the label say it goes on dashes. Also, I have had the car 6 years and all of a sudden Armor All eats my dash. What did Armor All come out with a new ACID version that eats IS300 dashes.

At this point I started getting pissed. I am a lawyer so in the back of my mind I was already drafting my complain for the suit I was going to file. I asked him about the scrathes which were new and he proceeded to tell me that there are a bunch of other scratches on the dash anyway. I was like well that is not the point. I finally asked him if there was something they could do to at least buff it out and make it look decent again since I want to sell the car in the next six months. He agreed to a "one time" Lexus fix of the dash by their dash guy at their expense. I am taking the car in next week and will let you know what the results are.

If anyone else has had their dash "fixed" by the dealer, please let me know how it turned out.

UPDATE: I got my car back from the dealership (Lexus of Clearwater) on Friday and I am very happy with the results. They refinished the entire dash. From the smell of things in the car I can tell what they did. The sanded down and removed all sticky and scratched areas. Then they applied several coats of paint. It looks really nice. I am not going to let anyone touch my dash from this point forward. While I am not sure this is the best answer for the problem, at least it looks nice now. The cost which the dealership paid the dash repair guy was $250 according to the receipt I signed. I would say that is pretty fair considering the amount of work. I was happy Lexus ate the cost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I haven't had it looked at by anyone, but I had something similar happen to me - a tiny spot right by the shifter peeled off. What the hell is that?? I'd like to know if they are able to fix it; maybe I will take it in and have them look at it. I will make sure I say I've never used Armour All haha.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know what you mean. It almost seems like our dashes weren't meant to be used with dash "shine" products. I bought my car a year ago and it's had that "sticky" substance to it even before I had the car. All the lint that floats around the car, ends up getting stuck on my dash. And I need to continue using plastic and vinyl cleaners to keep the shine and keep the little pieces of lint off. Also, my dash is scratched up as hell. And just as your situation, my dash scratches pretty easily. A light rub with my fingernail will leave a permanent impression on the dash. My solution is to buy a new dash. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to over the summer, because I can't stand the sight of all the scratches and the "stickiness". I'd rather have a dash I can just clean with a terry cloth and not worry about anything after that. The dealership quoted me around $600 for the dash and the little piece by the shift boot. For me, it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Does your dash get exposed to the sun alot? When you park in bright intense sunlight... do you cover your dashboard?

I don't have these problems with my car... but I don't use Armour All. I use this Simonize stuff with UV protectant... it actually feels almost like baby oil.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That *is* worth it but I would just be worried that it would happen again!!

I do use a shade as *all* sun in Texas is intense. :) My dash is more or less ok, I have more problems with that plastic material that trims the stereo/AC/shifter.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I would hope the dealer would take care of you unless it was obvious the damage was due to something done to the car. There were people who's HVAC panel started peeling or discolouring or something... and they got their control panel replaced by Lexus.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmm... replaced by Lexus... I like the sound of that! :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I heard the same thing when working for Saturn several years ago. We were not aloud to use any silicon based products or Armor All on the dash for detailing. The reason we were given was that over time, these products would cause the dash materials to break down.

That sucks about your dash. :( I still think Lexus should replace it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,
Funny, I drive the same car in halfway around the world in Singapore (IS200), but faced the same problem here. I hope to hear how this problem can be solved, coz my dash is sure getting worse by the week. I can't even touch it without getting a mark on there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a new dash from Lexus of Pembroke Pines, I had the same problem and with 81,000 miles it was out of warrenty. Now I have to find the time to install it! I wish I could find someone to repair it for 250! that is great. Lexus really has a problem with the dash melting / front suspension noise, and they don't care if you're out of warrenty. I will think twice before I buy another Lexus. Don't get me wrong I love driving this car (so smooth) I just think that for $32,000 these problems shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just bought a new dash from Lexus of Pembroke Pines, I had the same problem and with 81,000 miles it was out of warrenty. Now I have to find the time to install it! I wish I could find someone to repair it for 250! that is great. Lexus really has a problem with the dash melting / front suspension noise, and they don't care if you're out of warrenty. I will think twice before I buy another Lexus. Don't get me wrong I love driving this car (so smooth) I just think that for $32,000 these problems shouldn't happen.
Good luck getting any other car company to fix ANYTHING on a car when it's got 81,000 miles on it...

I love when people have issues with their cars because of stuff they've done to them (i.e. armor all) and expect the dealer to take care of it with no complaints. No dealer would do that.

Also, armor all eats all dashes, not just IS's. My dad's Buick, my friend's Honda, etc. All the chemicals eventually start to break stuff down...add extreme heat and sun exposure to that, and a lot of plastics would eventually fail.

As for the suspension noise, I live in the #1 state for worst roads, and #3 city (or maybe #2 this year) for worst potholes, and my suspension is silent. Somehow, I get the feeling that people with noisy suspensions have probably lowered their cars, or put ludicrously large wheels on them, or drive like morons. But of course when anything goes wrong, it's up to Lexus to fix it.

Good luck finding better customer service with other companies, though. Maybe try Saturn?

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Lexus really has a problem with the dash melting / front suspension noise, and they don't care if you're out of warrenty. I will think twice before I buy another Lexus. Don't get me wrong I love driving this car (so smooth) I just think that for $32,000 these problems shouldn't happen.
:lol:

If my $75,000 M5 gives me any issues at 81,000 miles THAT'S IT, I'll never buy another BMW again! I mean it is not some $32,000 car, it was a $75,000 car! Doesn't that mean it should NEVER break?!?! And why don't they care about you once you're out of warranty, why oh why?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Mine is scratched to hell and back, and I take really good car of my car. It was just a bad idea to put that soft of a material for part of the dash. It is not very durable.

But hey it has 63K miles on it, so it ain't gonna look brand new.

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Mine is scratched to hell and back, and I take really good car of my car. It was just a bad idea to put that soft of a material for part of the dash. It is not very durable.

I remember seeing this thread when it was started thinking no biggie, mine is still nice, no problem. That was until this last weekend when this cute little thing decided to put her feet up on it :pissed:

Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
8 Posts

I just took my OLD scratched dash out today, you can have it to test some paints on, I'm in Plantation too.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
really, where abouts? What does your call look like, I will look out for you. I'm in the SportCross. I don't need to say a color as I'm the only one. :lol:

Greg, my wife scratches the area above the glove box at least once per entry/exit with her rings, her bags, and yes sometimes her feet (but not in the good way) too.

The weirdest part is the area to the left of the drivers vent, it look horrible, and nothing ever touches that, so not sure where it came from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Peters Road and University, Silver 2002.

I used to get my car washed at the car wash on Davie Road, that's where the "dash dressing" came from, who knows, I just know this new dash will only be cleaned with a damp cloth.;)

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I'm over by Jacaranda CC. An by "by" I'm across the street. :lol:

Check out the South Forum, we are having a megameet this summer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have the same issue with my airbag and my dash and let me tell you it sucks big time. Every freakin day I get into that car I have to look at that scratched up to hell dash with glue for an airbag. I was contemplating on buying a new one and the best price I can get on it was $380. Then I thought, why not just sand it down and paint it. Then the more I thought about it, I was wondering was it worth the hassle to take it out paint it and put it back in again. Second, would be to take it out and just put a new one in. Third, would it be better to just take it out and have it wrapped in leather or suede since I am going through the hassle and then put it back in and then I won't have to deal with the scratches and the sticky icky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts