Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me. My dash paint is so sticky you cant even touch it without leaving finger prints or scraping the paint right off. I know a couple other people with the same problem. Is this a recall, if not it should be. People look at my car on the outside and are like oh nice car then they look on the inside and see the dash all scraped up. Just really irritates me that a person would pay this kind of money for a car and then that happen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this SAME issue, except it was ONLY on my passenger side airbag panel. it was SO annoying. I tried goo gone, and it took 1/2 the bottle to make a dent into it (apply goo gone, wait 5 mins, wipe off, soap + water). so I went online, did some research and I heard that WD40 removes sticky residue. so what I did was the same thing -- minus the soap + water. I used armor all protective wipes and after a little elbow grease, it came right off.

my biggest fear was discoloration, but I tested first in an inconspicuous spot. it worked great, and now my dash looks as good as new.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have the same issue like wako did. The passenger side air bag would get all sticky as if the material was melting. I also noticed this occurred when I cleaned my front windshield within the interior side. Their would be some overspray of windex falling on the passenger side front air bag and I noticed that it would get sticky as if the paint or the material was melting. You can even leave finger prints behind and it becomes embedded in the vinyl material.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
thats why i would never paint my dash.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yo, i have the same problem, i have an 2002, the dash gets soft and gummy, i could create deep scratches and dents in it with my finger nail. It pisses me off cause everything outside is nice till you see my damn dash.

I need a resolution!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yo, i have the same problem, i have an 2002, the dash gets soft and gummy, i could create deep scratches and dents in it with my finger nail. It pisses me off cause everything outside is nice till you see my damn dash.

I need a resolution!
I see that you are from Florida. Thats were my car is from. I also know of another guy from Florida with the same problem. His car is an 02 as well. I really dont wanna pull the dash out to take care of the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
most of the dash is painted,i know that because my dash had to be repainted because the paint got sticky,so i cleaned it only to find the paint came off,so i repainted the dash with interior paint which you can buy at any auto parts store and it looks as good as new.you dont have to take the dash out just mask everything off,clean the dash with some cleaner,and paint it,it worked perfect...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have it on my 2004 IS300. Its only melting/getting sticky on the passenger side airbag area. Funny thing is i had a 2001 and it never did this.

I thought the area was melting so I told my service guy to replace it under warrenty. He told me the previous owner must of placed something sticky in that area and never took it off. So Lexus cleaned it off. But I sure hope it doesnt come back as "kraze8" stated it does. If it does I wil demand them to replace the passenger airbag area of the dash. (P.S. I am from hot and sticky South Florida so that could be the reason for the dash issue but again my 2001 never had that issue)

This 2004 has little annoying problems that my 2001 never had. Such as the melting dash, my 2004 has horrible radio reception which makes it sound like the stock tweeters are blown sometimes (but there not says lexus lol) which my 2001 never had issues with the radio reception and other little annoyances.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took mine into the dealer and they told me some bs that someone must have painted the dash and not used the right paint. Because where the paint scraped off you can see the primer. They told me that 03 models have a black and gray dash, not all black like mine. I was like wtf? U work here and you dont know that the dash's only come in all one color!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.