Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new here. I have a 04 IS300 that I bought used last year. After replacing my stereo that wasn't working a few months ago, my dash lights stopped working and I haven't been able to figure out the issue. When the engine is turned on, only the brake and seat belt lights turn on. But when the key is first engaged before the engine starts, the maintenance required, oil, traction control, battery, etc (all lights in the bottom left corner of the dash) turn on as well as some of the lights in the top right corner including ABS and the check engine light. However, the 3 main areas like the RPM, speedometer, and fuel/mileage gauge lights don't work.

I checked the 7.5A INTERIOR fuse which was burnt, and after removing it completely the same lights appeared. I installed a new 7.5A fuse, and nothing changed, which leaves me unsure what the underlying problem may be. I don't have much experience with car electrical so I didn't want to start messing around without knowing what to be looking for. Any insight would be appreciated!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I saw this once when I bought a Civic with a Bluetooth player. Turns out the guy had wired his dimmer AND day/night illumination wires to the same radio wire, which overloaded the dimmer and burned it out. Bad thing was, the dimmer was built into an circuit board in the gauge cluster, so the whole cluster had to be replaced. Took me about 30 minutes to find the issue since it's kind of a localized problem, but once the new cluster was in, all was well. That is, except the fact that the car gained about 40,000 miles without moving an inch lol. The good thing for you is that a fuse is blowing, which might save your cluster. The solution is probly to rewire the dimmer with only one hookup - either the dimmer or the day/night switch. If only one is hooked up, try the other one, as that radio may only work one way with your car. Hopefully the cluster and dimmer switch are okay, and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Did you check both fuse panels? There is one on the drivers and passenger side of the vehicle. There may be two fuses for the instrument panel lights.

Good luck with your search!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts