Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 01 I bought that had a wood dash kit installed from the original owner. Due to the heat in the vehicle the adhesive started to peel and the outer coating was cracking. So I removed it and was left with a mess. I was told goof off :jawDrop: would work to remove adhesive. Bad move as most of you know and the test area I used above the glove box looks bad. The graphite coloring is now messed up. I removed the rest of the adhesive with rubbing alcohol with out complication. Besides using another stupid dash kit is there any suggestions on how to fix the coloration I have damaged without replacing the whole dash? Is there a kit that is recommended? It bothers the crap out of me to look at!!!!!

All suggestions are appreciated

I can send a picture if it is confusing!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
the CF dash kit seems to be popular among IS owners..i always thought it was butt ugly though...

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
If you are talking about the plastic part of the dash, you can have it painted. If you are talking about the "leather" part, you should get a new dash.

·
Registered
463 Posts
sherwood dash kit on ebay is nice. I've had mine for 3 years now. A lot less labor intensive just to cover it up. It goes will the 01 interior (paint on the interior-titanium look)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
painting is costly though....to have my dash painted, well the trim at least...it was a estimate for about 1000 bucks....having to remove the airbags and disassemble the dash and whatnot....

im still considering it though...its a very nice mod...only seen a couple IS's with it painted...

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
JAEohEN said:
painting is costly though....to have my dash painted, well the trim at least...it was a estimate for about 1000 bucks....having to remove the airbags and disassemble the dash and whatnot....

im still considering it though...its a very nice mod...only seen a couple IS's with it painted...
I say get the DIY and take it out by yourself

Take it to a shop or paint yourself

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
JAEohEN said:

Jon, did you get that quote from a shop here in the Bay Area? I only know Wet Works Garage from Flatline IS down in SoCal...

If you can, please PM me the details, thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. I assumed that painting replacing it all together or applying a new kit were the only options. I am new to the site and just caught a thread on how to fix the jam in the stereo. The directions were perfect and the CD player works fine again.
J

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
I say get the DIY and take it out by yourself

Take it to a shop or paint yourself
theres a DIY for that?

im not too comfy with messing with airbags...i got my quote from a .netters shop who works on IS's all day and even getting him to consider ripping my dash apart to paint was hard to do....

hot crap! i just searched for it and there is a DIY for it...wow....its been awhile since i actually researched doing this....

+rep....not like you need it....but thanks...

and yisser- it was a bay area shop....they were going to paint a lot of my trim pieces for about 1100 bucks...that included door handles, dash trim, um um ummm....and just a bunch of other little things....

I am new to the site
haha i noticed....you negative repped me for my suggestion, haha...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JAEohEN said:
theres a DIY for that?

im not too comfy with messing with airbags...i got my quote from a .netters shop who works on IS's all day and even getting him to consider ripping my dash apart to paint was hard to do....

hot crap! i just searched for it and there is a DIY for it...wow....its been awhile since i actually researched doing this....

+rep....not like you need it....but thanks...

and yisser- it was a bay area shop....they were going to paint a lot of my trim pieces for about 1100 bucks...that included door handles, dash trim, um um ummm....and just a bunch of other little things....

haha i noticed....you negative repped me for my suggestion, haha...
I talked to a body shop owner and friend of mine about the swap of the dash and the labor gets pricey! The dealer or most shops will book it from 6 to 8 hours of labor if your lucky.

JAEohEN what did you mean by this? "haha i noticed....you negative repped me for my suggestion, haha..."

I was tryin to give you positive rep for your help but may not have done it right?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I was tryin to give you positive rep for your help but may not have done it right?
probably the case....its all good...if i get conifident i might pull the dash and then have it painted....that way itll only be like 150 bucks as opposed to 1000 for all that labor...

and the DIY stated it took him just over an hour to get the dash out, that included pics from different angles for the write up....so in reality labor shouldnt be that much....

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
No you gave him neutral :lol:

You don't have rep to really give not at 10/0 :lol: one day maybe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts