Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with the dashboard. My show car is hardly ever in the sun and usually stays garaged but my dash is literally deteriorating. I only have 28k miles. I have tried almost every quality product and nothing helps. It’s actually sticky to the touch. Looks like I will have to purchase a dash mat because I am definitely not replacing the dash. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Common problem with the dash, rubber coating rots away on the trim. The 01 model didn't suffer this issue. Find an 01 dash to swap. Or some rub out the rubber with scotch brite pads or sand and repaint.

Mine was sticky when I bought it (it's no show car) some cleaner/armor all work got the sticky off but it's still rotten.

"... and you want to be my latex salesman?"

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brother. I may just go to a local upholstery shop and see what they can come up with or look into a dash mat. Changing out a dash would be a real PITA. I think Lexus should cover it since it’s such a common problem. They actually replaced my radiator when it was leaking a few years back way after the warranty. Appreciate the reply.

I will contact Vandelay Industries and have them send you a few samples 😉

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did this job about 3 months ago. I swapped it out with a great condition 2001 dash and middle console also out of a 01. Picked up both from 2 different 01’s for about $160 total. The job does seem a little intimidating when you look @ the link (post) step by step on how to do it. Was not that hard at all. Pulled the old one out, and had the new one in. Took all of a morning to do it. Could not be happier. The 01 is amazing with the 2 tone that matches all the door switch plates.

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Thank god my dash doesn’t look like that. It’s just at the very top where it meets the windshield. As I was installing the sunshade the bottom of it started scuffing up the dash and I said WTF?!! I will keep this in mind

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I called the local Lexus dealership and lo and behold there was a recall on the dash but they never contacted me and now it’s too late. 😡

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah that pic of my old dash is after I removed it. Much of those marks occurred as a result of me removing it. I agree with greaseknuckle - I believe it is an age issue just as much as heat. If anyone is wanting to swap in a 01 dash - I would not wait to long before I started looking for one as they will be getting hard to find.

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called the Lexus dealership and they’re familiar with my car. They will call corporate and see what they can do. I found a new one online for $524

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Sorry, but the sticky/melting dash will only get worse with time. It seems that this issue is a problem with a number of other cars as well. I was seriously considering a 370Z, but I decided against it when I read about its poorly designed clutch slave cylinder and yes, STICKY dash issues.

Like many numerous other people here, I decided to repaint my dash. I used
Dupli-Color EHVP10600 Flat Black High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray and SEM adhesion promoter. Since your IS300 is a show car, maybe have it taken care of professionally. I think mine came out great using rattle cans, but it's definitely not perfect.

I don't know how long it will last, but I've read that using soda crystals mixed with warm water gets rid of the sticky dash.

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks amazing. How hard is it to take out the dash? I wouldn’t know where to start

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah, literally all 02+'s will have this problem eventually. I believe the recall was for the later IS though. Only solution is the 01 dashboard, or stripping the mess and painting it, or living with it (that's what I'm doing lol).
+1

I called the Lexus dealership and they’re familiar with my car. They will call corporate and see what they can do. I found a new one online for $524
I'll send them a picture of my POS IS300 so they can familiarize themselves with it too! :lol:

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha ha. While you’re at it throw in a picture of your family to boot. I will see if Lexus gives each a new car. 😂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts