Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to go look at them, ..and he won't get me one. I'm 16, this is my first car .. My dad wants to take me to go look at the new Camaros and Mustangs.. can anyone give me some ideas on what cars i should go look at ..? and how are the Camaros and Mustangs .. thanks? .

·
Registered
447 Posts
if yur getting a camaro...get a z28..... if yur getting a mustang.....get a gt coupe.... if u get those u might as well get an IS coz they all cost a lot..... i say.... IS all the way..... or 300ZX TT ....i love that car.....

------------------
Silver 2001 ICE300

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree with ICE300... if you're getting one of those big ass V8's, you may as well be getting an IS.

Scott.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
how about a civic? If you don't really care about having a rice rocket.

a prelude is pretty nice if its under your budget, but for that money you'll be better off w/ a Celica

·
Registered
509 Posts
well.. personally.... my family and I will never get an american car.. ( sorry to all u american car owners. no offense)..
mustang/camaro.. great muscle cars.. but i think the interior just looks too cheap.. u basically use all the money on the engine. i dont know. .but since ur 16.. maybe u like more HP and less luxury/comfort?
also, i remember that in january, the Mustang GT fully loaded was like 42k, and at end of year, now, its only 35k for brand new 2000 model mustang GT coupe. so, u see, how much value it drops in less 1 year! BTW, all funds i am talking about are CDN funds.
im 18, and IS is my first car too. anyway, we always get european/japanese cars.. more reliable, and resale value, and more luxurious and etc..
just my 2 cents..

PS. but i gotta admit, the GT mustang convertable does look hella good! just too bad its a ford..

------------------
01' Spectra Blue Mica
Fully loaded IS 300

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited December 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
447 Posts
thanx 4 dah support Zoku.... by the way...... american will kill u...... and no1 lookz at american cars unless they dark tint and big'ol chrome wheelz..... no rockets pleaz...dearz enuff rockets in dah world.... get a 300zx..hehe....... or......328i..... it is in the same range as an IS in price... n easier 2 find parts for.....

------------------
Silver 2001 ICE300

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
a mustang is real easy to crash, honestly i think you should start with a pretty crappy car and then move up to somehting like the IS. american car companies have muscle but i dont' see as much refinement as i do in japanese and german companies. if all you care about is speed then the z28 will do nicely for you.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
There's also the Firebird (heh, GM's notorious for rebadging cars). Be advised that the V8's cost more for insurance.

Oh, and if you can, get the Camaro SS, not the Z28.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i'm also 16 boyie, and i ended up getting my IS. It wasn't my first car though. I had to settle with a 1987 300zx, which was all beat up. If i were you, i'd try to convince my dad to get the IS still. The car is a blast. And for all you out there that think i'm a brat for owning an IS when i'm 16. I had to pay for it myself. At least the 15k downpayment and the monthly payments. Not the insurance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hmm...well the IS is a little pricey for a first car! But just ask yourself what you want out of your car, and you'll find a car that suits you best.

Camaros and Mustangs are cheap HP, with big, loud V8s. Great if you want some power but not too great in the curves.

Hondas are the car to get if you want to modify your car; for better or worse. This would include Civics, Integras, Preludes, Accords. But then again everyone has one of those things, sheesh :p

If a ragtop is okay if you, and the maximum amount of people you carry besides yourself is one, then the MR-S and the S2000 are excellent choices.

Like I said before, just ask yourself what you want out of your car, and in time, you'll find the right car for you.

·
Registered
447 Posts
y not a toyota echo....or the honda hybrid....dat thing lookz koo..... new age rex..... go for it....juz extra electricity bill..... i'll race u in my power wheels

------------------
Silver 2001 ICE300

·
Registered
207 Posts
Shut up kid,you know your getting a tercel,i hate this punk kids that come in here and try and act cool and say they are getting all these expensive cars and sh*t,your not getting an is cause ur parents arent that dumb to put a 16 year old in a 35 grand car,your not getting a camaro or mustang GT cause they are pocket rockets and your insurance will be crazy,and youll probably be dead,my first car was a 2000 eddie bauer expedition,which i had to pay for half of it,my second car is a lexus is300 which i am leasing by myself with little help from my parents,i had the choice of them buy me a nice car or me paying for some of the nice car,get a job kid and work for something you liar

·
Registered
509 Posts
mario1235.

well.. too bad that life is not fair. the fact is, if ur parents are rich, they do not care about if they should put u in a 35k car or even 50k car! yes, they maybe spoiled brad that u hate, but thats the way it is, and the way world goes. 16 year olds driving a M3 is not surprising anymore, in fact, they are getting more and more common!
take where i live for example, i bet more than 60% of the BMW 3 series/LEXUS IS300/AUDI A4/MB CLK/SLK/C-class sales in vancouver are sold to ppl who buy the car for their kids. and this makes that the most of the BMW/AUDI/LEXUS/MB drivers on street are between age of 16-22.

every 5 minutes or less driving on street, u see a teenager BMW/AUDI/MB/LEXUS driver here!

------------------
01' Spectra Blue Mica
Fully loaded IS 300

·
Registered
447 Posts
hey Mario.... i like your style..... very interesting..... yur aight in my book.... but play nice....

------------------
Silver 2001 ICE300

·
Registered
106 Posts
My first car was a SALVAGED VW Scirocco. All bondo and major electrical problems. I paid for it myself. None of my friends had nice new Bimmers or Lexi to choose from either. So Boyie, no offense, but if your parents are even offering to get you a car, no matter what kind it is, TAKE IT. Don't be a spoiled little brat. EARN your IS300, you will appreciate it more.
Sorry just hate hearing how these young kids have it so tough cause their parents won't buy them an IS300.

------------------
Graphite w/ Black, LSD, Heated Seats

·
Registered
816 Posts
BoYiE: IMO, the IS300/Mustang GT/Camaro Z28 aren't good first cars to hone your skills as a budding car enthusiast. All of them are rather heavy and can get you into huge trouble if you're at all uncertain as to how their limits can be approached. A good example off the top of my head are those CL-S guys that recently totaled their new rides, barely escaping serious injury. They were extremely lucky. Cars, no matter how well-built, will not save your life beyond a certain point. It would be a shame if your first ride turned out to be your last.

If your parents are looking to spend in the range that I think they are, why not look into any of the current Integras, Celicas, or Jettas/Golfs/GTIs? There's a good reason why these are as popular with young people as they are, and it isn't just bang-for-the-buck.

Remember, it's not your last car. If you stretch their budget and buy the best they can afford now, you're going to be stuck with that car for a LONG time, and that's without knowing what subtle traits you actually prefer in car. Spend less now and you'll probably get the chance to get it REALLY right the next time.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
whoa somebody needs to clam down

Originally posted by Mario1235:
Shut up kid,you know your getting a tercel,i hate this punk kids that come in here and try and act cool and say they are getting all these expensive cars and sh*t,your not getting an is cause ur parents arent that dumb to put a 16 year old in a 35 grand car,your not getting a camaro or mustang GT cause they are pocket rockets and your insurance will be crazy,and youll probably be dead,my first car was a 2000 eddie bauer expedition,which i had to pay for half of it,my second car is a lexus is300 which i am leasing by myself with little help from my parents,i had the choice of them buy me a nice car or me paying for some of the nice car,get a job kid and work for something you liar

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I was looking at the Jetta's and well everywhere I see a Jetta I see a girl driving it .. and so that would not look good on my part, plus the Jetta always gets a new design .. so in like 3 years if i still have the car, it would look out of date.

Now about the Honda things, well if you live in Pittsburg .. all there is her is Honda's .. EVERYWHERE (CIVIS. PRELUDES) and im not the kind that likes to follow in other peoples steps .. but my dad is being a jerk, and wont get me an IS .. I'll try some more .. but I dought it .. My mom wants to take me to the BMW delership tomorrow, to go look at a used 1999 or 2000 BMW 2 door, but if I can get a new Camaro or Mustang then I would get a used BMW .. But tomorrow Im gonig to go all over and test drive crs and see what I like .. so I'll let u guys know then ..

(DAMN I FEEL SICK ...)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have said this a couple of times, but well..

1 Get a stickshift. You learn things best when you're young. How many of your friends can do a heel & toe? And let's say you wanted to rent a car during your vacation in Europe. You think they have AT rental cars?

2 Get a rear wheel drive. Why? I ain't going into that its going to take too long.

3 Get a lightweight car with high body rigidity. You won't learn anything in a heavy, flimsy bodied car.

4 Get a car thats "Fun to drive". You can get status and luxury when you're older. There are some cars that you can only drive in your teens or when you're single.

I don't know about the weather or road conditions in where you live, nor what your priorities are in your car choice, but the above points are basically what I want first time buyers to think about.

I got myself an AT FWD for my first car. I wish I could go back and do it over.

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited December 27, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
47 Participants
MunkyMan
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing