Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from Le Bar Bat in NYC on Saturday night, I hit a pothole by the Lincoln Tunnel. Blew out rear/passenger tire. Severely bubbled front/passenger tire. The rear/driver side tire already had a gash in it (that I was putting off replacing). Fortunately, I bought 5 OEM graphites with tires a week earlier. I wanted to wait until Spring to put them on (but I guess not). I had to change 4 tires on Sunday. That Sucked. Back hurts. That was one expensive pothole...Graphites look good...

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Titanium Silver w/Black
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
2000 Razor Scooter w/Wheelie Bar
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I can relate as well as sympathize. I blew out the front tire on the side when I hit a pot hole. I bumbled the hell out of it.. Are we covered for this??? How much does a new tire cost the exact one???? - ballpark

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kel3:
I can relate as well as sympathize. I blew out the front tire on the side when I hit a pot hole. I bumbled the hell out of it.. Are we covered for this??? How much does a new tire cost the exact one???? - ballpark
Unfortunately, we are not covered for this. What is even more unfortunate, is that tires are around $250.00 each. Luckily I got 5 graphites w/tires for $1000.00.

------------------

·
Registered
461 Posts
We have a lot of potholes here also. I try not to drive fast at night because some of them you can't see. At least you didn't blow out both of them at the same time. That would have sucked.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I hit a hellacious pothole last night on the driver's side. Suspension bottomed out and I thought for sure I'd get a bubble, but it looks ok. How long does it take for a bubble to show up?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
250 clams?????? WTF I can get Toyo tires for my 19's for less than that. But 1000 for 5 graphites with tires thats a deal where did you get them???? I can shell out 1g for 5 graphite IS rims any day??? Please respond

Thanks

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by rubley:
I hit a hellacious pothole last night on the driver's side. Suspension bottomed out and I thought for sure I'd get a bubble, but it looks ok. How long does it take for a bubble to show up?
I did the same thing with my IS and i thought all was well, I went onto the highway and noticed at 65+ mph the car would shake, i thought i screwed up the alighnment and went to the dealer........The rim was bent, Bent and unrepairable, and not covered under warranty.......New rim $500.00

Better make sure no further damage has happened....

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake, Tint (2 weeks)

·
Registered
134 Posts
LexArkana...I'm also wondering where you can get 5 OEM graphite rims w/tires for $1K? That is a really good deal. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by trdis3:
LexArkana...I'm also wondering where you can get 5 OEM graphite rims w/tires for $1K? That is a really good deal. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Private seller, wheels and tires forum...Stock Potenzas are around $180 from Tirerack...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I hit a nice big pothole on the way to the Philly convention center a few weeks ago. Fortunately I had my 16"ers on. If anyone wants some stock Potenza's I'll give you guys a deal.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll take it up on the highway tonite and see how it feels.

Originally posted by mccarlin:
I did the same thing with my IS and i thought all was well, I went onto the highway and noticed at 65+ mph the car would shake, i thought i screwed up the alighnment and went to the dealer........The rim was bent, Bent and unrepairable, and not covered under warranty.......New rim $500.00

Better make sure no further damage has happened....

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Kel3:
250 clams?????? WTF I can get Toyo tires for my 19's for less than that. But 1000 for 5 graphites with tires thats a deal where did you get them???? I can shell out 1g for 5 graphite IS rims any day??? Please respond

Thanks
http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum9/HTML/000034.html

------------------

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by rubley:

The bubble showed up in mine instantly. Pretty bad too...

------------------

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by crontab:
I hit a nice big pothole on the way to the Philly convention center a few weeks ago. Fortunately I had my 16"ers on. If anyone wants some stock Potenza's I'll give you guys a deal.

-crontab -l

I'm interested...how much?

------------------

·
Registered
154 Posts
I changed six tires this F UCING season already and had to repair a rim that was slightly bent to keep as the spair. It happened 3 seperate times.... two out of three in one day! I got hit sooo bad, now, I feel more paranoid driving than I am enjoying it. I'm slowly, slowly fighting this fear of potholes.

Don-

I got 4 flats in one day on the Bely Parkway in between Brooklyn and Queens... it's the worste road in America... In NY/NJ, that unsafe road BS dont stand a chance. Bottom line, you hit a pothole YOUR FUC*ED! I wish that had that.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Yo Lex... Get the BridgeStone Potenza RE730's they a better tire, better tread pattern and they cost $135!! compared to Lexus install $252 potenza re040's

Call your insurance co and get an check from them (it should be covered under no fault) then go buy cheaper but better tires and pocket the rest of the cash from the insurance check or spend it on the SRT intake!! Thats what I did.

Good luck.. PS i know all about the NYC potholes... be very very careful bro.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Belt Pkwy Suck!!! Especially when you pass the Fountain Ave section... nasty potholes and stell plates in the raod right before Rockaway Pkwy going East... Been there done that.... I just cruise slowly in my IS these days! Wish i could hit 130mph. Imagine you hit a NYC pothole at 130mph? Can you say "Dale Earnhart"??

Im not a redneck grease monkey, but i sure will miss seeing #3 GM Goodwrench in action.

Rest in Peace Dale.. guys like you inspire guys like us.

·
Registered
449 Posts
For all of u who have hit a BIG pothole and blew out your tires, did you notice achange in your alignment? was there any pulling or shaking at all? Just gotta know how bulletproof the front ends are. Had a bad experience with my junk Merc. capri, poorest front end made back then. hit anything and the alignment was off as wall as the front end shakes. When I bought my '97 Honda civic and living in San Fran. i hit some big pot holes and the front end is BOMB PROOF, SOLID. I looked at how they reinforced the front end and was very amazed. Before I bought the IS I looked at the suspension and got the lay out of the front end, and was confident that the reinforced front end could handle small hits, with the 17's rolling. So far so good . Please reply, thanks

------------------
Yellow IS300 w/LSD and graphite polished rims

1 - 20 of 38 Posts