Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a hurry to pick up my son from school since I got out of work a little late. At about 1:00 this afternoon, I got caught doing 51 in a 40 about 1.5 minutes away from work in Vista (SD county). I saw the motorcycle cop parked between cars at the last second and slowed down, but it was too late. Dry roads and not much traffic around.

I haven't gotten a ticket since 1999, and I'm wondering how much I should expect to pay (I'm hoping it will be <$200). I guess I'll be waisting a Saturday at traffic school too.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was a cop for a little under three years. In Florida, a law enforcement officer would only pull someone if they were exceeding (9) miles over. 9 and under would have to have a minor traffic or vehicular infraction or PC. 11 over would have been a waste of time to me. I hope this guy wasn't too much of a jerk! Sometimes the judge or magistrate will throw these out...sometimes. Hang tough (on a possible Saturday) dude and let us know the outcome!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
i am pretty sure it will be less then 200. i was doing 80 on a 65 and it was about 200 ish.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lex, I'm looking over that site now. So if I contest the ticket by mail and lose, will I still be able to attend traffic school (I haven't gotten that far yet)? So if I contest and lose, all I have to do is pay what I would have had to pay anyway...or do I have to pay more?

$187 + a Saturday isn't too bad.

Thank you everyone for responding. Oh, and the Vista sheriff wasn't a dick at all :jawDrop:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, yeah I read on some sites that you can log on/off as much as you want with no time limit. Was it the white or yellow curbs for the loading/unloading of passengers only :lol:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess they figure people are rushing around this time of year. Oh well, hopefully it will be another 8yrs or more until I get another ticket.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
do any of you guys have radar systems, not to jinks myself, but i have a good eye for cops. but do any really work close to 100% accuracy

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
damn, I juat paid one doing 60 on 35 including traffic sch fee is around $32x.
I was going to fight for it, but I have no time...sucks!
I just paid it thru the phone yesterday, it was the last due day. I was trying to do a second extend but that operator didnt let me do so and leave me no choice =[

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Lex, I'm looking over that site now. So if I contest the ticket by mail and lose, will I still be able to attend traffic school (I haven't gotten that far yet)? So if I contest and lose, all I have to do is pay what I would have had to pay anyway...or do I have to pay more?

$187 + a Saturday isn't too bad.

Thank you everyone for responding. Oh, and the Vista sheriff wasn't a dick at all :jawDrop:
i think so, i vaguely remembe reading that you have to write it in your letter. be upfront, if you lose ask for traffic school. read up on it though. i know it works, so good luck.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did some reading, and it looks like you can usually get traffic school if you lose. A lot of judges will allow people to attend traffic school more than 1x/18mo. because they get an additional ~$40 if the defendant goes to school. The 2nd+ tickets are made known to insurance companies, but they don't go on your record...or something like that.

My big mistake (other than speeding and getting caught) was asking for a warning after he had written the ticket. ALWAYS ALWAYS politely ask for a warning BEFORE the officer writes the ticket.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got a no front license plate ticket recently.
he didnt even give me a ticket for my tinted windows
I'm surprised he didn't add on tinted windows and no front plate to my ticket. When I had a civic, they usually asked me to pop the hood. Since all my mods were legal, I did it every time. This one could have been worse if he had me pop my hood and noticed my joeZ intake (I assume it is illegal).

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's an update....

I tried my luck at fighting the ticket through the mail (trial by written declaration--see Fight Traffic Tickets / Contest Traffic Tickets with the Ticket Assassin: Your Guide to Fighting California Traffic Tickets & Contesting Traffic Citations in California). The site has interesting info, but the douche running it only replied to the first of 6 e-mails requesting assistance...even though I am a paid member.

Anyway...I lost the trial. Rather than opting for a Trial De Novo or spending 8 hours being lectured by some guy who thinks he is funny, I opted for on-line traffic school. Since quizzes are "open book" (you can use the back button to review the chapter), I just did Key Word searches to find the answers--ctrl+f is your friend. Since the final is based on the quizzes, I finished the whole thing in under 2 hours of actual time spent working on the material. I think copying and formatting the quiz questions for the final took more time than it did to answer them. For the cryptic messages or whatever you call them, everything was based on "sparky"...so I searched "sparky" every section.

So, I paid $168 for the ticket, another 28 for fees, and ~33 for traffic school. If anyone decides to do traffic school, save yourself 6 hours, and check your list of approved schools for Cheap Easy Fast Online Traffic School

5 months later...case closed lol

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last time I did traffic school (around 1998/9), I sat in class for 8 hours. That REALLY sucked! Online traffic school was nothing in comparison.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts