Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo i'm not sure if there is a thread on this, but i did use the search button adn nothing came up, but i've noticed me and my buddie's is3 always has this hood latch problem where the cable doesn't retract all the way back, therefore the hood will never be fully closed. it takes like 23339048029 times of pulling the hood release to finally retract the cable...does anybody know a way to fix the problem?

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Have you tried lubricating the latch? If it's not a problem with the latch, your cable may have gotten corroded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has the exact same problem and I haven't taken the latch apart. I usually try to shove the cable back in from the lever side inside the car, but sometimes it takes some play to get it to go back in.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I have been dealing with this for 9 years of ownership.

At one time, I had to use needle nose pliers to push the wire at the release to get the latch back into the receiving position. I had traced the cable all the way through the dash to find out where it may be binding. My only resolution was at the actual latch or it was seizing inside of the cable sheathing.

Tip that worked for me:

I took a power washer and washed out of the front latch really good. This freed all of the crap, grease and build up of dirt over time. After a week or so, the release free'd right up and it has not been a problem since. The theory is that it is actually the mechanism that is causing this to happen.

Try it, it worked for me, was simple and only took a minute or two to fix.

I also do not pull the release all the way open anymore, I only pull gently, until the hood pops and the hood release goes back into place everytime.

Digger08

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
I have the same issue. There's a piece of plastic that covers the latch, I pop it up, stick in a screwdriver and pull up, this pulls on the cable and retracts it without having to use pliers to push it in from inside. I actually think it's the cable as lubricating the latch didn't do anything. Just waiting for the weather to be nicer so I can replace the damn thing.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Mine did it the other day.

I'm ripping everything apart this weekend, this is starting to piss me off.

Plus I don't feel like having the hood smash into my windshield at 80mph

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine did it the other day.

I'm ripping everything apart this weekend, this is starting to piss me off.

Plus I don't feel like having the hood smash into my windshield at 80mph
iunno..i keep yanking the wire until it fully retracts....Greg, let me know what seems to be your underlying problem

·
Registered
968 Posts
k, so I'll take pics tomorrow. But inside the hood up front where the hood latches to the mechanism attached to the car, there's a plastic piece covering 2 springs. The bottom, smaller spring, you can't see until you bust the fuggen plastic piece out, is what the actual hood latch wire is attached to. Just push that spring in & the hood latch wire is back in place and it should shut. That's what worked for me. Dunno the point of the plastic piece except to conceal the bottom spring. Hopefully, I won't find out it served a better purpose later. . . .lol

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
k, so I'll take pics tomorrow. But inside the hood up front where the hood latches to the mechanism attached to the car, there's a plastic piece covering 2 springs. The bottom, smaller spring, you can't see until you bust the fuggen plastic piece out, is what the actual hood latch wire is attached to. Just push that spring in & the hood latch wire is back in place and it should shut. That's what worked for me. Dunno the point of the plastic piece except to conceal the bottom spring. Hopefully, I won't find out it served a better purpose later. . . .lol
You beat me to it, I was going to take pics of it tomorrow. The lower (smaller) spring retracts the cable and if not fully compressed your hood will not shut or worse - it will open during your 3rd gear pulls. I'm still guessing the cable, the locking mechanism is moving just fine. I'll post more when I take it apart.

(for those who don't take the plastic piece off and just pry the cable like I said to do, you're risking detaching the actual cable from the locking mechanism so when you shut the hood............

Reactions: Pendragon

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You beat me to it, I was going to take pics of it tomorrow. The lower (smaller) spring retracts the cable and if not fully compressed your hood will not shut or worse - it will open during your 3rd gear pulls. I'm still guessing the cable, the locking mechanism is moving just fine. I'll post more when I take it apart.

(for those who don't take the plastic piece off and just pry the cable like I said to do, you're risking detaching the actual cable from the locking mechanism so when you shut the hood............

GG, Hope you have glass coverage haha!

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
I do :lol: It's fine once I took the plastic piece off and made sure the cable is back all the way. But I did accidentally pop the cable out of place and if I shut the hood I'd be taking a saw to it right now.

You going to that cruise tomorrow?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i decided to revive this thread....but for the last 2 months i've been sticking a flathead screwdrive inbetween the spring that holds the hood down to the latch..works perfectly...just an fyi for those guys out there having the same problem and don't feel like taking the whole hood latch system out and apart. it seems to be that spring that rusts out alot..just stick a flathead into the spring and wiggle it...the latch wire retracts perfectly!

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
I took mine apart a while ago and pulled the cable out of the grille so it was showing all of the way up to where it hides in the fender, then sprayed some wd40 into it and moved it around. Seems to be retracting ok but I always check to make sure the spring pulls it all the way back - had to help it once. In my case it seems to be the cable that's the problem, not just the spring.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.