Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't paying attention this morning and backed my car up into some hard snow/ice and as a result it ended up damaging my rear bumper. Not too bad but it looks like it busted 2 clips on one side.

Anyone know if this is fairly easy to fix? The bumper is on pretty solid except for the two spots were the top clips were.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Should be easy to fix.

There is also some screws/bolts underneath affixing this to solid points along the wide section. I think you will need to remove the entire skin, to fix the broken clips.

I would suggest to not try and do this in the cold, as the palstic will crack easily. Use a warm garage, if possible.

I have no ideal of the clip part numbers, but the part is referred to by Lexus as a "Rear Bumper Side Support"

I have attached a parts explosion for you that will show all of the bolts and screw locations. Similar to the front bumper there is some hidden spots.

Check the site, I think there is a removal tutorial on this somewhere

Digger08

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clip that holds the very top end bolt, is it as simple as ordering a new clip and attaching it where the broken one is or do I have to do some sort of repair to the clip?

(I'm sorry just a little confused with it, on my previous car the clip was apart of the bumper as one peice)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
:balling: I feel ya brother, i brought mine out today after a few weeks and when i got to work i backed up and i heard that heart breaking sounds...i jumped out nearly breaking my ass to see that i only clipped the bottom! :jawDrop:

Sorry to hear about that...but this is why i dont bring my baby out now. that clip should be that hard to put back to gether..follow that trusty diagram.

good luck

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bumper doesn't appear to be scratched, just the two clips are broken.

I wish I had time today to look at it, it would have been the perfect day to try and fix it :(

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The clips are nothing to replace the problem is if the supports molded into the bumper are broken then new clips have nothing to hold onto.

Reactions: zerokarma
1 - 11 of 11 Posts