Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it was possible?
Say cutting our stock 7 inch rim and filling the middle to make it 9 inches wide?

What is the process called?
How do they do it?
Is it expensive?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Don't do it, the structural integrity won't be as strong. Just spend the money on all new wheels. Also depends on the who's doing the job. I wouldn't want the wheel to fall apart while i'm doing 70 mph on the freeway :eek:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
go on supra forums and ask, lots of guys do it on there. I would say to PM Kryptonik but hes on vacation till february, his brother widened his wheels.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Keep in mind your offset is going to drastically change/increase so you need to make sure your new rim size won't interfer with your suspension.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i really like to look of the stock 17's (5 spokes). Just wish they would have a nice lip and be widened to around 8in fronts and 9's in the rear.

anybody know of an aftermarket rim very close to our stock 17's?

this widening process seems very interesting. so would this make our rim a two piece or three peice rim?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The MODA R6 wheel is 95% identical to our stock 17s. Check them out at www.tirerack.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also- I believe this would make the wheel a 3 piece (if you cut it vertically and added a center section, theoretically, though not by typical 3-piece definition.

A 2 piece wheel fits together as 2 sides like this () <--
and a 3 piece wheel fits together like this (o) <--
with a seperate center core. (I know, great illustrations, huh?)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the 2 piece / 3 piece thing. This is just how it was explained to me once.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
i think there's a guy on here that did that to his Axis 7's Max lip or something.

the work looked pretty good. clean cut and clean welds,

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUTRBALL12 said:
go on supra forums and ask, lots of guys do it on there. I would say to PM Kryptonik but hes on vacation till february, his brother widened his wheels.
already did, thanks for the suggestion ;)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think the guys brother who did it was kryptonik. (I think :D ) Peace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts