Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend with a z28 Camaro said i should get a cutout exhaust. I looked at his and its pretty much small section of pipe shaped into a Y that they weld between the midpipe and endsection (not sure on the terminology yet). The base of the Y connects to the midpipe...while one of the branches connects to the end section....then the other branch is just straight out. It comes with a cap, and when the cutout is capped the exhaust flows into the end section...but when uncapped it comes straight out of the midpipe through the open branch of the Y...

laugh at me or watever but i'm just curious on if this is good bad...recommended or rice...any gains and bla bla. thanks guys :crazy:

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
they also have the electronically controlled 'gates' and it's supposed to help when racing, but i don't really see the need in terms of our cars..

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I wouldnt do it.... :shame:

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I dont know how much it will help in stock motor form but I am getting a electric switch one for my car with my tubosetup.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
If I was going to do it, I'd go with the cap type. The one with the flapper valve will get stuck sooner or later from the heat. But running wide open pipe on a stock car will just throw everything out of whack and it won't run as good as stock. At worst it might lean out and burn something up.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
fairuza11 said:
I dont know how much it will help in stock motor form but I am getting a electric switch one for my car with my tubosetup.
Thats the only way I would have it!

·
Registered
712 Posts
fairuza11 said:
I took out the entire catback which was 2 1/2in and only left the 3in downpipe and midpipe to go to the track. BIG MISTAKE! The car burnt a big chunk of the plastic covers and the dirt covers of the rear axles. When you push 500rwhp its basically fire thats coming out of the exhaust. Make sure the tip is pointing completely down or out of the car.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
cariza said:
fairuza11 said:
I took out the entire catback which was 2 1/2in and only left the 3in downpipe and midpipe to go to the track. BIG MISTAKE! The car burnt a big chunk of the plastic covers and the dirt covers of the rear axles. When you push 500rwhp its basically fire thats coming out of the exhaust. Make sure the tip is pointing completely down or out of the car.
I dont have any of the plastic covers on my car anymore..

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
While they are putting in the cuyout, have them put in a moonshine tank in the trunk also. :wink:
Dan

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fuct said:
not sure if you realize, but we don't have a domestic P.O.S.
yea thats why i'm askin you guys...he has a camaro i got a lex...i ain't diving into anything he tells me before consulting with you guys... :wink:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Seriously it's a bad idea. It's just going to be nothing but trouble and I don't think it's going to help your performance. Probably will hurt it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I see a lot of ignorant responses here.

Turbo Buick guys with a lot more power than any of the turbo IS's on here have been running the electronically-controlled cutouts for a while. You get all of the benefits of the stock exhaust, etc but you can have a straight pipe with the flick of a switch.

I say go for it -- it would be especially helpful on a turbo setup (as someone mentioned). I suspect you'd get some noticeable power increases especially up top. Backpressure is your enemy.

Oh, and some pretty fast Supras run cutouts as well.
-Chris

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I hear ya on the possible performance gains on a turbo car that is why I am going to try it. As far as a N/A stock car I am not sure it will help much at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts