Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Hey I just wanted to share this info. I took my antenna off and cut it, leaving about 1" of the spiral wire. I took a 1" rubber vacuum cap and slid it over the remaining spiral wire. It butted up to the plastic base really nice. I've checked all my preset's and my reception is fine. The antenna looks a hell a of a lot better now, and it looks clean.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I don't have the technology to give a pic. I'm pretty anal when it comes to the looks of my car, and I honestly think it looks pretty good. I figured instead of spending $25-30 for an after market one, This costs about 50 cents.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think Mike at ProLex did that about 9-12 months ago if I am not mistaken. He had pics of it at the time I am not sure if they would still be searchable or not.

BenZ

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Here is a pic of my 5 1/2" Chrome - Aluminum antenna

These are the best pics i have right now..... :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
marco grappasonno said:
I figured instead of spending $25-30 for an after market one, This costs about 50 cents.
Hmm, I figured... instead of spending 30-35k on an IS300, I bought a new civic and slapped a set of altezza's on it.... looks real good and a lot cheaper too..... :roll:

·
Registered
861 Posts
:lol:

Sheliz300 said:
marco grappasonno said:
I figured instead of spending $25-30 for an after market one, This costs about 50 cents.
Hmm, I figured... instead of spending 30-35k on an IS300, I bought a new civic and slapped a set of altezza's on it.... looks real good and a lot cheaper too..... :roll:
:chill:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Sheliz300 said:
marco grappasonno said:
HAHAH
that is hilarious

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks pretty good.....I think I saw someone else do that too and didn't affect the radio reception or anything. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Sheliz300 said:
marco grappasonno said:
Whatever. You think just because you drive a Lexus, you should just throw money away. That makes tons of sense. :roll:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
DJPoop said:
Sheliz300 said:
marco grappasonno said:
Whatever. You think just because you drive a Lexus, you should just throw money away. That makes tons of sense. :roll:
I think I missed the part where I implied that...would you care to point out where you may have assumed that?

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Sheliz300 said:
DJPoop said:
Sheliz300 said:
marco grappasonno said:
I think I missed the part where I implied that...would you care to point out where you may have assumed that?
I assumed that because you talked about getting a civic and putting altezzas on it to make it look like an IS...basically saying your to cheap to get the real thing. If this is not what you were saying, then I appologize.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I agree with DJPoop. I see crap like this all the time on this board. for instance, people ask about the 15k mile service cost, and then someone chimes in saying, "dude, you drive a $30k car, but wont pay $400 for an oil change?!" Just cause I drive a nice car doesn't mean I am not smart about how I spend my money. I agree that if you get the same reception as stock, then why not just cut it instead of spending $50 for a friggen antenna.

my .01

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
isthrizzy said:
I agree with DJPoop. I see crap like this all the time on this board. for instance, people ask about the 15k mile service cost, and then someone chimes in saying, "dude, you drive a $30k car, but wont pay $400 for an oil change?!" Just cause I drive a nice car doesn't mean I am not smart about how I spend my money. I agree that if you get the same reception as stock, then why not just cut it instead of spending $50 for a friggen antenna.

my .01
Thank you. I f__ing hate it when people use this lame ass line of reasoning. If cutting the antenna for free makes it look exaclty like the JDM and it gets the same reception, then all you folks that say "I drive a Lexus so I'm gonna spend the $30 to buy a new antenna" are all fucking morons, and obviously wanna-be yuppie snobs. The same applies for the rediculously overpriced oilchanges. If your smart, you look to get the best deal possible. It has nothing to how much money you actually have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't think this would start this much sh*t. But I have to agree w/ you guy's. If you can get the same resaults out of something for free, why waste money on a "name". If you could get the same resaults by making you're own intale(Joe Z) then why spend $250 for the thing w/ a name on it right? :crazy:

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
marco grappasonno said:
I didn't think this would start this much sh*t. But I have to agree w/ you guy's. If you can get the same resaults out of something for free, why waste money on a "name". If you could get the same resaults by making you're own intake(Joe Z) then why spend $250 for the thing w/ a name on it right? :crazy:
I definetely agree with you!!!! Customizing and coming up with new ways/ideas for less money is the best thing these days..... Especially when it comes to our cars!!

Joe Z :chill:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
DJPoop said:
Thank you. I f__ing hate it when people use this lame ass line of reasoning. If cutting the antenna for free makes it look exaclty like the JDM and it gets the same reception, then all you folks that say "I drive a Lexus so I'm gonna spend the $30 to buy a new antenna" are all fucking morons, and obviously wanna-be yuppie snobs. The same applies for the rediculously overpriced oilchanges. If your smart, you look to get the best deal possible. It has nothing to how much money you actually have.
true dat...nobody clowns on someone when they save hundreds installing their own parts instead of having it "professionally" done but when it comes to little knick knack stuff you are automatically labeled a civic driver if u do it yourself...why don't u pay me 50 dollars and i'll trim your antenna then? then u can call me watever u want as i head to the strip club. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
detroitpoop
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing