Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Hey borla...are you gregg by any chance?

·
Registered
654 Posts
turbo97se said:
My opinion is that if you know what you are doing, the best way is actually to piece a kit together yourself. People say it will end up costing more than a standard kit ... to a certain extent this can be true. If however, you piece together parts that people are getting rid of, you can do it very inexpensively and get closer to what you want rather than buying a kit and upgrading this and that.

Manifold $300-$500 $400 for decent one
turbo $400-$1200 $1000 for nice GT35R
Piping $500-$800 $650 estimate (boost and down pipes)
BOV $220 $220 for an nice HKS and flange
Wastegate $200-$300 $200 for a Tial 38mm
Intercooler $500 $500 Precision Intercooler
Walbro fuel pump $110 $110
piggyback/EMS $1000-$3000 $2000 for AEM/TEC3 class
Injectors $350 $350
Couplers and clamps $100

So for about $5200 you have a nice kit with standalone and that's not cheaping out on stuff either. Did I miss anything? If you go cheap then you can save a lot on ebay turbos, BOV, WG etc ... but I would not count on those. Other ways to save are to go on places like Supraforums or WRX, EVO forums to get new parts from abandoned projects but you need to have some luck and patience for that. I did not include gauges pricing in this but I don't think many (if any) include gauges. Again, you need to know what you are looking for and how to look for it. If you are not fairly advanced in this stuff then a kit is probably a good way to go ... just my 2 cents on the matter. I personally do not believe in kits ... unless I happen to be the one selling them LOL

Yes. What about trans and a clutch. The stock trans wont hold to much power for long. Have to add that in there too. Plus its not really that cut and dry. You know as well as I do that thing come up that you cant help. Little things that add up.

Paul

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Are there turbo kits that provide that provide clutch and trans? I am comparing like with like here. I am comparing this to what you would get in a turbo kit that is "off the shelf".

100% agree with you that it is not cut and dry by any stretch of the imagination. For a good clean reliable setup pull motor and trans and put in internals and 6 speed or built auto.

RAVEN said:
Yes. What about trans and a clutch. The stock trans wont hold to much power for long. Have to add that in there too. Plus its not really that cut and dry. You know as well as I do that thing come up that you cant help. Little things that add up.

Paul

21 - 24 of 24 Posts