Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has done this and gotten good results? If so, did it cost as much as the bolt-on kits do?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
damn you make enough threads? There really arent many people that have gone with putting there own kits together. It is always good to go with a proven kit that has everything you need and all new parts. Most of the time everything bolts up and saves way more headaches than if you put together your own kit.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I made my own kit. I saved a lot of money than buying a kit from PFS, TE, Boost Logic, etc. Car runs well. Just adding a few more things before I strap it on the dyno again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the multiple threads. My computer was acting up when I was trying to submit it onto the forums.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
I'd say almost every kit is custom for the is300. There aren't conventional bolt on kits like greddy offers for the z. It isn't as cut and dry as slapping a kit on in a few hours. Tuners sell kits, but I don't consider them bolt on kits. They all require some light fabrication and custom work. Many of us have custom manifolds, ic setups, blah blah blah. not too many kits are identical. There are variations on placement of the turbo, bov, wg, etc. Look at isman, raven, mdforcefed, redline, myis300t, freelance, tsop. These are all prime examples. And those are just a few.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I also put together my kit together from what I liked and what works.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
The only place that truly sells a "kit" right now is SRT.
The rest are really custom per order.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Put together my own kit, but I have spent double what I thought I would.

·
Back road boosting
3,517 Posts
Kaiyin said:
I made my own kit. I saved a lot of money than buying a kit from PFS, TE, Boost Logic, etc. Car runs well. Just adding a few more things before I strap it on the dyno again.

I thought you were selling your car???

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
The only place that truly sells a "kit" right now is SRT.
The rest are really custom per order.
huh? that doesnt make any sense....especially considering that shippable SRT kits are at a 3 month wait.....

what about PFS, TE, and BL? they arent considered "kits" according to you? :lol:

BL kits are available ASAP, and all parts ship out over a 2-3 week time frame

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The previous kit I put together on my t78 setup ran flawless. I spent only 7k on everything

The current setup now is about 10k. It also runs flawless

I do all the work myself so I save a lot of money there.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Supra4Ever said:
Just curious if anyone has done this and gotten good results? If so, did it cost as much as the bolt-on kits do?

Just do this and start from scratch. You will be better off.

Paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the insight guys. What I meant in "kits" were already put-together systems that for the most part bolt-on. I like to do custom stuff, and also purchase the pieces that I know will work good. Are the turbo mani's off the GTE similar or different from the GE?

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
RAVEN said:
Just do this and start from scratch. You will be better off.

Paul

Best advice yet, good one Paul.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know there are people that have done this and made it work from the get go. I would have to say that overall if you really know what you want (power wise) that you can piece together an awesome kit yourself as long as you do the research. If you are unable to do this and unable to do the work yourself ( because of bankroll or free time) I would not go that route. If you have these two things then I think that you would be able to piece together a great turbo setup and save hell of alot of money. The key is to research and know what you truly want, power wise, and think about the affect it will have on the internals and the tranny.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My opinion is that if you know what you are doing, the best way is actually to piece a kit together yourself. People say it will end up costing more than a standard kit ... to a certain extent this can be true. If however, you piece together parts that people are getting rid of, you can do it very inexpensively and get closer to what you want rather than buying a kit and upgrading this and that.

Manifold $300-$500 $400 for decent one
turbo $400-$1200 $1000 for nice GT35R
Piping $500-$800 $650 estimate (boost and down pipes)
BOV $220 $220 for an nice HKS and flange
Wastegate $200-$300 $200 for a Tial 38mm
Intercooler $500 $500 Precision Intercooler
Walbro fuel pump $110 $110
piggyback/EMS $1000-$3000 $2000 for AEM/TEC3 class
Injectors $350 $350
Couplers and clamps $100

So for about $5200 you have a nice kit with standalone and that's not cheaping out on stuff either. Did I miss anything? If you go cheap then you can save a lot on ebay turbos, BOV, WG etc ... but I would not count on those. Other ways to save are to go on places like Supraforums or WRX, EVO forums to get new parts from abandoned projects but you need to have some luck and patience for that. I did not include gauges pricing in this but I don't think many (if any) include gauges. Again, you need to know what you are looking for and how to look for it. If you are not fairly advanced in this stuff then a kit is probably a good way to go ... just my 2 cents on the matter. I personally do not believe in kits ... unless I happen to be the one selling them LOL

·
Registered
368 Posts
^ just internals gte bottom end just to throw in there still getting out very cheap but almost perfect setup.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
GTE internals are not really that cheap but you did remind me that a 2-3mm headgasket needs to be added. What does a Cometic run these days? $160?

I noticed your sig .. are you the one with Garage Five? Heard they got my AEM setup running on your car today .. congrats! :)

borlais300 said:
^ just internals gte bottom end just to throw in there still getting out very cheap but almost perfect setup.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Well, I have the manifold for $300, WG (brand new) for $200, and a 60-1 turbo (someone make me an offer, its brand new in the box polished housing and all, sold the kit and the dude had his own turbo). So see right here are parts of your kit, pm me for details lol

*shameless plug*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts