Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OR..... How to cut a big hole in a possibly one-off rare as hell, Original A-51 vented CF hood,......freak out a bit afterwards, & then make it work and look sweet in the end...

FWIW..MANY of these projects i am now posting on started well over a year ago...it took me a long time to do them cause i cant work on the things as much as i want,... So the time line is quite condensed in these posts ... the actual work involved took FAR less time than working out the concept, methods, materials, & and the preparation..not to mention my undecisive procrastinatin' ass...

I've been trying to figure out how to more agressively vent my "AirBox" thru my hood for a while now, i looked at all kinds of different vents & what not ... eventually deciding, I would try a NACA duct to help draw air down & in......

I found these acrylic ducts on line & bought a few, eventually I started chopping at them to modify them to use as a more proper NACA duct, in the hood.

after chopping them back & grinding them down with a belt sander... here are the 3 stages to a nearly finished duct.

Working out the CF 'Floor' and mesh...

... Using the ducts i worked out where the duct should go & what i had to do to make it fit.... i found the spot, marked an outline for the vent & free drew the inner line for the hole.. the tape lines mark the outside of the " Air box" space under the hood...

I cut the hole small & used a dremel & drum sander to shape the hole in the CF and i used the duct many times to keep checking the shape & keep things even & tight.

not bad for a hack...

So with the external hole thru the hood cleanly cut..:jawDrop: . i finished the mesh & shape of the CF duct floor duct.

Test fitting as it will be mounted...

the duct mesh secured & after a light coat of paint...its ready to install, epoxy works great...

i dont think it wil lbe falling off any time soon...

after epoxying it to the under side of the hood... i started filling in the gap to clean it up...

After sanding & a little paint...........I needed a bit more filler.....

After sanding the filler smooth & shooting the final coat of paint....

I am actually pretty amazed how nice it turned out & I cant wait to mount this hood FINALLY!!!!!

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Wow!! I was just thinking this past week about adding a NACA duct to my stock hood. You have out done yourself with this, excellent work!!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
wow that looks great. and balls for cutting a hole in a CF hood. so why the ducts black and not CF?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Looks great man!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Damn, you make DIY look too easy. Everything is so cleanly cut and done. +Rep! You continue to amaze me with your work!

·
Registered
452 Posts
wow what a awesome job! looks great. your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me!
+Rep

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As for where to get the Ducts... Look up "BSR NACA" ducts.. .GOOgle them who ever sells them will pop up...

I found these on ebay...

The ducts are BLaack Vs CF cause they are not CF...they are acrylic....plastic basically... and i painted the clear parts flat black, & use a piece of Carbon fiber glued to the bottom to form the "Floor" of the duct....

As for their HEat resistance... the duct is pretty much totally exposed to open air from the top... and is situated well away from the Motor... plus i have sealed the air box under the vent to eliminate hot air from being sucked into the filter... so the radiant heat will not affect the duct. It took a lot of focused heat to reshape the ducts as i needed & they will be exposed to much less heat in general under the hood than before......with the Jet-hot ceramic coating inside & outside the headers...the two layers (One copper infused & one Std Fiberglass/kevlar what ever) of header wrap...on the entire header on top of the ceramic coating PLUS the Nascar surplus alloy/Kevlar-FG/alloy Heat shield panel I have wrapped & formed around my header PLUS, the LMS heat shield i am running........WHEW!

I am now seeing a MUCH lower under hood ambient temp near the filter than before, plus with the new vents in the hoods the majority of what is generated will be released thru the vents.....

the Hex mesh I found on Ebay... but the price i paid was WAY more then i should have... so I am looking at ordering a large chunk of this stuff in bulk....thru a local metal suplplier I have developed a friendship with...

lemme know if you want some Sammy i can add it to my order & save us some cash..

& thanks again for all the kind words guys..

now if i could only make some MONEY doing this stuff.....

edG

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
So what benefit does this have?
His air filter is up in that area (he is supercharged), and this provides the coolest ambient intake air.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yo nick... any news from UPS... i assume they had no luck locating the package........?:( :( :( :( :(

& yeah... here's a couple pics.....

my bigass Aem intake filter is now sitting where my battery used to be... i built a simple 'Air box' there to help keep heated air off the motor away from my intake filter...

It draws air in thru the 3 - 1.25 inch holes in the firewall to the left, or behind/above my bigass dry flow AEM filter...in the 1st 2 pics.

'cool' fresh air is only drawn in thru the windshield cowl & along the channel for the windshield motors etc & thru the 3 holes above to the filter now...

with the A-51 hood... I will also draw air straight into the "box" & filter thru the hood... I am working on how to run it safely in the rain.....;) or something i can quickly pop in there to plug it up or cover it... perhaps a baffle so the flow is not directly on the filter or somethingthat keeps the filter media shaded from direct rain,,...

the 'air box' area is sealed all around the sides & bottom. The filter is not resting at the bottom of the space it is suspended above the bottom so there is free air flow into the filer media all the way around 360 deg....also if water some how collected there, the filter would not be resting in it.. ;)

I sealed the "box area" from hot air to the bottom of the hood with foam weather stripping under the hood and on the relay lid, and CF panel/heat shield.....

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Amazing work Ed. I'm only good at drawing stick people. :approve:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts