Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I machined an aluminum LED mount that replaces the RED circle on our tail lights but I need some opinion before I button her up. I was going for a "-" sign looking tail light. Still not sure of my implementation though. here is a test fit up that I did.

Brake light in light

Brake light in dark

Running lights in light

Running lights in dark

Sorry I know some of the pics are blurry. there are 19 LED's in all here is the config before it goes through the refraction lens

My options are
1. fuckk it go with the way it is
2. modify the lens to show more of the leds on running lights
3. go back to stock
4. any suggestions?

Werd
Fig

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
it doesn't look like it's going to be bright enough for night time use.
You don't want someone slamming into the rear of your car because they didn't see you.

I would say.. try to add mor LED's in there if you can.

... looks good so far...

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kraze8 said:
it doesn't look like it's going to be bright enough for night time use.
You don't want someone slamming into the rear of your car because they didn't see you.

I would say.. try to add mor LED's in there if you can.

... looks good so far...
Actually it lights up the whole room. It is hard to see how bright they are. here is a better pic of things in the dark. You can't even look at the LED's w/o the lens. So I think I am going to mod the lens for a little better dispersion. Or I got another Idea :) :)

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JDM_SXE-10 said:
Fig said:
Yeah I am leaning there
I have enough LED's :)
Maybe around my first inset radius?
Yeah that would look better. Did you take apart an IS taillight to design this?
Yeah took em apart...one didn't go so good :eek: I tried two techniques, one resulted in a cracked lense. :( But life goes on. I am going to try one more variation of the lens...go with it for a while so I can drive my car and fire two more LEDs into the stock reflectors to give it a fuller look.

Will post with revision..Thanks all, for helping me think a little.
L8
Fig

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
Nice Work Fig!

I think making a led "ring" like someone suggested would look more appealing. What inspired the "-" design?

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LCA575 said:
Nice Work Fig!

I think making a led "ring" like someone suggested would look more appealing. What inspired the "-" design?
I don't know Battlestar Galatica or maybe it was night rider or maybe it was the Z8 tails.

I am going to try it one more time with a more complicated reflector tonight (mill a bunch of ball end patterns) and see what it look like. I think firing the LEDS back into the stock reflector will help make the ring or perceive a ring anyway. We'll see

Fig

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll get betta pics tonight. Here is what they look like on. This was a quick fit up so I can drive my car so the right one is rotated slightly (I hate being hurried) The driver side lens is junked but I will fix that later.

Damn what happend with my cam on this shot.
Overall I am reasonably satisfied. I think I will go back in and make engineering adjustments, but I think I will not get anything from the cops and with the trunk lights I should be OK for any test phase I may go through.

So who wants to buy some? ;)

I will post s tutorial on the rear lens removal (do and don'ts, since I know both know)
Fig

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
just so you know.. the LED bar inside the circle is blocking your rear reflector.. therefore, you COULD get hassled for a ticket..

you need rear red reflectors facing both backwards and from the rear sides.. (thus the rear side markers on the bumper)..

just a heads up

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I agree with the black ring idea. While you're at it, I'd paint the whole rear light housing black too. It would look sweet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts